"Fun" movies

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« on: May 18, 2017 04:25 AM »
A surprisingly underrated quality of movies that aren't straight comedies (yawn), especially in the west. What are your favorites?

Tadanobu Asano was in a lot in the 2000s for some reason.

Korea made a fair amount in the previous decade as well.

Takashi Miike remade The Quiet Family and it's one of his best movies:

Also Hausu and The Host which are two of my all time favorites but they have terrible trailers.

I also just saw Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 2 which was pretty fun but also had ideas and shit, even if the first half wasn't great and a lot of the jokes didn't land. Way better than the first or any of Marvel's standard quipcore capeshit though imo.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,159 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
    • http://www.thebackalleys.com
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017 05:42 AM »
i was going to post at least 3 of these (electric dragon 80000v, i'm a cyborg but that's ok, good/bad/weird).. hmm

didn't like the first quips of the galaxy so i'll prob never see the 2nd

how about my sassy girl? quirky korean romance. been a long time since i've seen it but i remember it being fun. there's a western remake but i've never seen it. probably blows
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017 05:51 AM by rtil »

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017 01:49 PM »
My Sassy Girl is definitely one of the like top 5 best romcoms ever (not that the competition is particularly strong). It was also adapted into a J-drama series which I've heard is also good. I think my favorite is still Roman Holiday, which is also fun as fvck despite being like a hundred years old.

That director's made a few other movies like it that aren't quite as good though:

This one is also good even though it's probably the longest movie I've ever seen:

Four hours is really too long for a movie to really be "fun" I think.

There's no real reason to see GotGv2. It's not a must see or anything, and definitely isn't as good a blockbuster as the best from previous years like Shin Gojira, Fury Road, Edge of Tomorrow, Pacific Rim, etc. I did like it slightly more than Rogue One which I liked about three times as much as TFA though.