thebackalleys
pizza and trojans
You are not logged in.
( Login | Register )

2014 fall anime thread

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,157 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
    • http://www.thebackalleys.com
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014 06:15 PM »
Amagi Brilliant Park - Kyoani embraces the T&A and a bold MC for once. funny, interesting premise, good animation. looks like a keeper so far

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works Episode "0" - Prologue to the events of the Rin route from the VN. obviously very high budget, doesn't give away too much, overall a lot better than any of the work DEEN did on F/SN. looks to be promising.
Fate Zero was pretty damn good... I really wonder how this one will torn out since they stick to an original route and they don't have Urobuchi on the team for this one...

Other than that: Yeah, KyoAni T&A... what the fuck? The first episode was enjoyable, but damn, the studio has lowered its standards a lot.
what do they need urobutcher for? the story and visuals are already there.

i don't mind that kyoani isn't afraid to show skin any more. it was for like 2 fucking seconds, what's the big deal? lowering standards? did you see free? don't be dramatic. the most important thing should be telling a story, which they haven't been able to do for years. hopefully they'll be able to turn things around with amagi.

Offline Kött
Male
  • uguu
  • 1,587 posts
  • Awards OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • ballzonforehead on Skype
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014 06:14 AM »
I was being a bit sarcastic here... KyoAni used to be one of the most prudish studios in the entire Anime industry. Clannad, for instance, didn't even have a damn kiss in it and is still a pretty magical piece of entertainment imo. K-On didn't have a single scene featuring (sexual) fan service and the anime still managed to attract one of the biggest male otaku fanbases ever.
Then there was more or less a huge gap. Nichijou was pretty fun I guess. Still, no T&A. Just some good old entertainment that didn't rely on methods that I would consider cheap or generic in terms of anime.
Tamako Market had a butt in it if I recall correctly. That show kinda marked the point when it went downhill for the studio. Not because of the butt. I like butts. I've always wanted them to be a bit more daring in regards to their shows' content. It was more because they had a really shitty premise and that particular butt was supposed to mark the comedic climax of one of their episodes. Because they had to rely on these really generic and cheap means to promote one of their works. When you see too much T&A in a show it's pretty much a sign for the fact that they weren't creative enough to come up with an original script, long enough to fill their time frame and deliver an interesting story.
Again, I don't dislike T&A. In this case, I actually think that the scene was well executed. It's just that I just still haven't gotten used to seeing it from KyoAni.

Urobuchi wrote (imo) a couple of really good stories and these include Fate Zero. I agree that he is not needed for a story that has already been written, but I don't think it would have hurt to have had him contribute to it. My main concern, however, is that the story of Fate Zero was written for the anime format while the new Fate is simply an adaptation. It will be interesting to see how ufotable does with this different kind of format. I am definitely looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014 06:17 AM by Kött »
:3

Offline SrsSam77
Male
  • Greater Aniki
  • 1,428 posts
  • Awards IRC REGULAR: this user is one of the top irc chatters!
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014 10:25 AM »
I don't think this will affect anyone here, but apparently the HorribleSubs sub for pyscho pass s2 is a honeypot, pretty much everyone I know who DLed them got a DMCA reqeust

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,157 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014 04:27 PM »
I was being a bit sarcastic here... KyoAni used to be one of the most prudish studios in the entire Anime industry. Clannad, for instance, didn't even have a damn kiss in it and is still a pretty magical piece of entertainment imo. K-On didn't have a single scene featuring (sexual) fan service and the anime still managed to attract one of the biggest male otaku fanbases ever.
Then there was more or less a huge gap. Nichijou was pretty fun I guess. Still, no T&A. Just some good old entertainment that didn't rely on methods that I would consider cheap or generic in terms of anime.
Tamako Market had a butt in it if I recall correctly. That show kinda marked the point when it went downhill for the studio. Not because of the butt. I like butts. I've always wanted them to be a bit more daring in regards to their shows' content. It was more because they had a really shitty premise and that particular butt was supposed to mark the comedic climax of one of their episodes. Because they had to rely on these really generic and cheap means to promote one of their works. When you see too much T&A in a show it's pretty much a sign for the fact that they weren't creative enough to come up with an original script, long enough to fill their time frame and deliver an interesting story.
Again, I don't dislike T&A. In this case, I actually think that the scene was well executed. It's just that I just still haven't gotten used to seeing it from KyoAni.
i agree that tamako market was crap, had potential but went absolutely nowhere. although kyokai no kanata was even worse imo, because they tried to go all out with it and fell flat on its face in the end. i don't remember any fanservice in it but that one character into siscon was extremely perverted. at least tamako market kind of knew what it was - a slice of life pretending to have a story. ironically the slice of life episode in KnK was the best part of the entire season.

Urobuchi wrote (imo) a couple of really good stories and these include Fate Zero. I agree that he is not needed for a story that has already been written, but I don't think it would have hurt to have had him contribute to it. My main concern, however, is that the story of Fate Zero was written for the anime format while the new Fate is simply an adaptation. It will be interesting to see how ufotable does with this different kind of format. I am definitely looking forward to it.
i've said this before but i think he's overrated. ufotable seems to be doing fine without him and doing a direct adaptation. i'm not entirely familiar with the source material but so far it seems like they're telling the story pretty intelligently and the visuals are all top notch.

I don't think this will affect anyone here, but apparently the HorribleSubs sub for pyscho pass s2 is a honeypot, pretty much everyone I know who DLed them got a DMCA reqeust

source? is psycho pass s2 even licensed in the states yet? encrypt your torrent traffic if you're using a major telecom isp. or just use xdcc
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014 04:30 PM by rtil »

Offline SrsSam77
Male
  • Greater Aniki
  • 1,428 posts
  • Awards IRC REGULAR: this user is one of the top irc chatters!
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014 09:33 PM »
no source, just word of mouth. I believe the reason for all the DMCA's is because horrible subs is using funimation rips.
commie or bust tho

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,157 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014 09:41 PM »
it's not funi, it's cr

and commie just takes the cr subs and edits them

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014 09:02 PM »
The only reason I tend to download HS releases is because they don't add fucking karaoke subtitles in the OP.

I like ABP pretty well but when was the last time you thought Kyoani managed to tell a story rtil?

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,157 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014 09:17 PM »
I like ABP pretty well but when was the last time you thought Kyoani managed to tell a story rtil?

Hyoka was a very successful character driven story imo. plebs accuse Hyoka of being boring because they're too used to artificial shonen character development and can't appreciate a well-paced arc.

they made Chuuni right after Hyoka which i did like but it was mostly slice of life and the 2nd season was just a 12-episode cocktease.

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2014 09:46 PM »
Yeah I was about to say they're really only good at adapting character driven drama/SoL. That's why FMP: Fumoffu was better than FMP! and Kyokai no Kanata wasn't nearly as good as Monogatari.

I'm pretty sure I posted this earlier in the thread but I must have deleted it when I realized it wasn't going to be this season's coveted hipster show a la Gatchaman Crowds:

Awesome opening animation but the actual series is a bland CGI fest so don't bother.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,157 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2014 11:25 PM »
a lot of animes have very misleading OP's

unfortunately amagi is slowly devolving into typical modern kyoani SoL, plot going nowhere, focusing on one-note characters nobody gives a shit about (Moffle). also they're doing the BD uncensor thing with the fanservice - in this scene on the tv release the animation was very static, apparently this is what it looks like in the BD's

and the budget seems to have  disappeared as well

fortunately chaika and parasyte (minus dubstep) is still good