• Where I bite, I hold 'til I die.
  • 239 posts
    • Proto-Chaud on Skype
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2016 11:12 PM »
WHITE PEOPLE
says THE WHITEST PERSON HERE

jesus fucking christ either be proud of your own ethnicity or go do a reverse michael jackson

>being proud of ethnicity

lol

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2016 11:29 PM »
Yes being proud of your ethnicity, nationality, etc. might seem stupid because you didn't do anything to achieve them, but the same could be said of genetics and upbringing which are other major factors to individual success.

Pride in these things is really just pride in your heritage, which is healthy and prevents cultures and societies from decaying.

Offline Gladius
Male
  • hot ham n cheese
  • 1,275 posts
  • This user is permanently banned
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016 02:09 AM »
WHITE PEOPLE

jesus fucking christ either be proud of your own ethnicity or go do a reverse michael jackson

>being proud of ethnicity

lol

wha the fuck

i didn't even think there were racially unaware ppl left anymore
▬ஜ۩☆۩ஜ▬ ---★☆★☆★ DONALD TRUMP 2016 ★☆★☆★--- ▬ஜ۩☆۩ஜ▬

Offline Unless
Female
  • rascal, be
  • 507 posts
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016 04:02 AM »
I realise that I'm only commenting because I'm interested in the conversation after it went off-topic, so if anybody wants to shout at me to stay on-topic, feel free. Though of course it's not entirely impossible that I'll blatantly disregard you due to an utter lack of respect.

Yes being proud of your ethnicity, nationality, etc. might seem stupid because you didn't do anything to achieve them, but the same could be said of genetics and upbringing which are other major factors to individual success.

Pride in these things is really just pride in your heritage, which is healthy and prevents cultures and societies from decaying.
In my opinion, a culture should really have a leg to stand on which isn't based on something innate like heritage or genetics. If that's all it has going for it, then it seems to me like it should be replaced by a different mindset somewhere in the middle ground between this and where I'm at.
(No, I'm not saying that any one culture specifically literally has nothing else figurative on which to stand.)

Though the self-loathing is more significant in my case than most (to unhealthy degrees, I'm very aware), it's probably ironic that this is apparently a very Irish attitude that I hold: being proud of your ethnicity or nationality or genetics or upbringing or gender or age or disposition towards being social doesn't make any sense and please stop it.
In Ireland's case, this is probably something to do with the education system's awful handling of teaching the Irish language and country's history that makes us sick to death of anything traditionally Irish by the time we leave school, with the exception of drinking ourselves to death.

These polar opposites in opinion are probably why Ireland is largely hated by the Irish, and America is largely hated by everybody else.
On a related note, it's also annoying to a lot of the Irish specifically how Americans seem to be more proud of having a step-uncle once removed that was half Irish than we are.

But on the other hand you should probably ignore me because I'm just a self-destructive youth who hates everything.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016 04:05 AM by Unless »
*whistles the theme song to your least favourite anime*

Offline Gladius
Male
  • hot ham n cheese
  • 1,275 posts
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016 05:18 AM »
Though the self-loathing is more significant in my case than most (to unhealthy degrees, I'm very aware), it's probably ironic that this is apparently a very Irish attitude that I hold: being proud of your ethnicity or nationality or genetics or upbringing or gender or age or disposition towards being social doesn't make any sense and please stop it.

my boy mikey and his ulster brahs would like a word with u

Offline Unless
Female
  • rascal, be
  • 507 posts
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016 05:31 AM »
Any patriotism we have up north isn't born of being proud of our country, rather from hating the English because of what their ancestors did.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016 05:37 AM by Unless »

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016 08:28 AM »
In my opinion, a culture should really have a leg to stand on which isn't based on something innate like heritage or genetics.
Well yeah, I'd also like that, but that doesn't make it a reality.

If that's all it has going for it, then it seems to me like it should be replaced by a different mindset somewhere in the middle ground between this and where I'm at.
(No, I'm not saying that any one culture specifically literally has nothing else figurative on which to stand.)
Well it is, that being Globalism, Multiculturalism, Islam, etc.

Why doesn't it make any sense? I'm interested in outcomes not intentions, and the attractive outcome to me is Europe's existing in 50 years. There are strong cultural bonds and weak ones. The Ashkenazi Jews are powerful for a reason and spoiler alert it's not due to their self-loathing.

In Ireland's case, this is probably something to do with the education system's awful handling of teaching the Irish language and country's history that makes us sick to death of anything traditionally Irish by the time we leave school, with the exception of drinking ourselves to death.
Well then blame the education system, which I imagine is still largely a proxy of English tyranny, not your culture. Sure you may not be speaking or writing Gaelic in casual conversation, but neither did Swift, Wilde, Joyce, Yeats, Beckett, O'Brien, etc. and like it or not, those are the people whose legacy you're tasked with preserving as a literate citizen.

These polar opposites in opinion are probably why Ireland is largely hated by the Irish, and America is largely hated by everybody else.
On a related note, it's also annoying to a lot of the Irish specifically how Americans seem to be more proud of having a step-uncle once removed that was half Irish than we are.
Well America can burn for all I care, Europe is more important. Yes I'm a hypocrite, but our vitality also isn't in as much trouble.

But on the other hand you should probably ignore me because I'm just a self-destructive youth who hates everything.
Glad we both enjoy movies. I did my part preserving my culture watching the Oscars last night, have you read your Yeats today?

Offline Gladius
Male
  • hot ham n cheese
  • 1,275 posts
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016 08:31 AM »
Any patriotism we have up north isn't born of being proud of our country, rather from hating the English because of what their ancestors did.

if care/harm morality was the only compulsion fueling their nationalism they wouldn't have vetoed gay marriage 4 times... niggas is traditionalist as fuck and genuinely love their land and people

Offline Unless
Female
  • rascal, be
  • 507 posts
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016 09:25 AM »
In my opinion, a culture should really have a leg to stand on which isn't based on something innate like heritage or genetics.
Well yeah, I'd also like that, but that doesn't make it a reality.
You can't rip a mindset out from under a people and replace it with something else of course, and in fact that's even difficult to do with a carpet in the first place, but I'm still going to remark on the design being ugly in a conversation about the design.

If that's all it has going for it, then it seems to me like it should be replaced by a different mindset somewhere in the middle ground between this and where I'm at.
Well it is, that being Globalism, Multiculturalism, Islam, etc.
I also wasn't saying that it wasn't applicable to anything, was just a disclaimer in hopes that people wouldn't read between the lines in that way and accuse me of accusing them of something or other.

Why doesn't it make any sense? I'm interested in outcomes not intentions, and the attractive outcome to me is Europe's existing in 50 years. There are strong cultural bonds and weak ones. The Ashkenazi Jews are powerful for a reason and spoiler alert it's not due to their self-loathing.
Because pride doesn't make sense to me as something to have about something into which you've put no effort. If my sister were to bake a delicious cake and give it to me for free I'd certainly be happy about it. Why on Earth would I be proud? I don't really understand the rest of your point.

… sick to death of anything traditionally Irish by the time we leave school.
Sure you may not be speaking or writing Gaelic in casual conversation, but neither did Swift, Wilde, Joyce, Yeats, Beckett, O'Brien, etc. and like it or not, those are the people whose legacy you're tasked with preserving as a literate citizen.

…have you read your Yeats today?
No, I'm not obligated to be patriotic and I don't owe the even greatest artists of the past a thing.

Still, what I said was an exaggeration in that obviously I don't hate absolutely everything Irish (or everything, quite). For example, I do like some Irish poetry, but this also isn't to be confused with patriotism. I like it because it's poetry that I like, not because it's Irish.

Yes. My profile's Personal Text field at the time of my writing the previous post was already a reference to some of his work. Had you actually copped that, or was Yeats just coincidentally the first Irish poet that came to mind and/or Google?

if care/harm morality was the only compulsion fueling their nationalism they wouldn't have vetoed gay marriage 4 times... niggas is traditionalist as fuck and genuinely love their land and people
I voted for legalisation of gay marriages in Ireland because I understand the concept behind being a decent person, which again has nothing in the world to do with being proud of being Irish.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016 09:36 AM by Unless »

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2016 09:58 AM »
You can't rip a mindset out from under a people and replace it with something else of course, and in fact that's even difficult to do with a carpet in the first place, but I'm still going to remark on the design being ugly in a conversation about the design.
Okay yes, you care about design (= intention), I care about outcome.

I also wasn't saying that it wasn't applicable to anything, was just a disclaimer in hopes that people wouldn't read between the lines in that way and accuse me of accusing them of something or other.
Clarity is appreciated!

Because pride doesn't make sense to me as something to have about something into which you've put no effort. If my sister were to bake a delicious cake and give it to me for free I'd certainly be happy about it. Why on Earth would I be proud? I don't really understand the rest of your point.
Well I believe some things are bigger than you or me and our personal achievements. My point about the Ashkenazi Jews is that they run a lot of things due to in-group preference, which is why they and their culture survived a fucking Holocaust.

No, I'm not obligated to be patriotic and I don't owe the even greatest artists of the past a thing.
Sure you aren't, but you have to accept that if most people are like you, your culture as you know it might not exist in a century.

Still, what I said was an exaggeration in that obviously I don't hate absolutely everything Irish (or everything, quite). For example, I do like some Irish poetry, but this also isn't to be confused with patriotism. I like it because it's poetry that I like, not because it's Irish.
You mean to tell me that you don't identify with poetry in the Irish tradition more than say translated Islamic or Indian poetry? Okay. You don't have to be waving a flag or have joined the IRA to be a patriot if you ask me. Weren't universities opened to the public so everyone, not just the Aristocracy, could take part in cultural preservation? You may not profess bias toward your own culture, but if I'm honest I'm jealous of you. We in the states get hamburgers, Mark Twain and the Oscars, and we got the hamburgers from Germany and the cinema from France. I'd argue you get something much richer but again that's just my personal taste right?

Yes. My profile's Personal Text field at the time of my writing the previous post was already a reference to some of his work. Had you actually copped that, or was Yeats just coincidentally the first Irish poet that came to mind and/or Google?
That text changes so much I wouldn't have noticed honestly. Yes he was the first poet who came to my mind. Do you know why? Because I'm not Irish, and so leave championing the rest of them to you.

Offline Gladius
Male
  • hot ham n cheese
  • 1,275 posts
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016 10:15 AM »

false analogy because the cake is ephemera and not the homeland that has housed and fed your people for thousands of years. yall solipsistic af

I voted for legalisation of gay marriages in Ireland because I understand the concept behind being a decent person, which again has nothing in the world to do with being proud of being Irish.

and i voted against it on account of understanding being a good catholic which i'm pretty sure even in these spiritually malnourished times carries more weight than being a good SWPL. as always i recommend cracking some good philosophy books to banish harm-based morality from your mind. c ya.

Offline Unless
Female
  • rascal, be
  • 507 posts
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2016 11:50 AM »
Sure you aren't, but you have to accept that if most people are like you, your culture as you know it might not exist in a century.
I am aware that my own personal views aren't ideal for the preservation of the culture. I don't despise Irish culture and want it to die, I just don't have any personal investment and honestly don't care whether it survives. Also, I find it very annoying when people insist that I ought care a whole lot that the language of “my people” is dying out just because I live here.
And honestly, generally I'm not very happy with myself anyway and wouldn't wish the entirety of my mindset on anyone. I did specifically say that a preferable mindset would be in the middle ground.

If I'm honest I'm jealous of you. We in the states get hamburgers, Mark Twain and the Oscars, and we got the hamburgers from Germany and the cinema from France. I'd argue you get something much richer…
Well for reference, we got ‘Irish potatoes’ from America so let's call it even? But on an actually serous note, did you mean you're jealous of the language?

false analogy because the cake is ephemera and not the homeland that has housed and fed your people for thousands of years. yall solipsistic af
The analysis was specifically about my own personal gratitude and pride in the country in which I live — and I'll make a point of calling it that as opposed to ‘my country’ — so I think you'll find on closer inspection that Ireland is exactly like a cake, thanks.

and i voted against it on account of understanding being a good catholic which i'm pretty sure even in these spiritually malnourished times carries more weight than being a good SWPL. as always i recommend cracking some good philosophy books to banish harm-based morality from your mind. c ya.
Cool, I'll probably look more into that right after I'm done practising witchcraft and becoming a lesbian. Of course, even if I've learned new and allegedly objectively preferable ways to live after having done so, I still wouldn't ever vote in favour of imposing these ways on the rest of the people in the country against their will.

Clarity is appreciated!
Well on that note, I know I'm particularly prone to pushing people's buttons anyway, but no doubt that's been particularly pronounced in this thread because today has been particularly iffy for me, which is just particularly prone to happening when I'm staying at my parent's. Also —

I typed this with intentions of making it clearer that I was being hyperbolic. I don't passionately hate anything except on very bad days, and for reference I do think you're a pretty cool, Bam.

Pride doesn't make sense to me as something to have about something into which you've put no effort.
Well I believe some things are bigger than you or me and our personal achievements. My point about the Ashkenazi Jews is that they run a lot of things due to in-group preference, which is why they and their culture survived a fucking Holocaust.
Well… yeah. Good for them, then. That's not exactly related to me or my personal achievements, as you say. And as I've said, I don't really care about pride in things over which you had no influence, and I find it annoying when people insist that I should, but I guess I'm not demanding nobody does? I realise that's a contradiction, though. Hadn't had a conversation so thorough about this before, so it hadn't been relevant. Neat, I'll have a think about that.

My profile's Personal Text field at the time of my writing the previous post was already a reference to some of his work.
That text changes so much I wouldn't have noticed honestly.
Mmrm. If I recall correctly, I only really change that about as often as my avatar, which I've lately only been changing every week or two. But then again, if I recall correctly, my memory isn't what it used to be.

If it helps, I do intend to change the avatar again before I head home, to something ye've already seen and should find incredibly appropriate, just generally. Feel free to then retroactively apply that onto these posts. If it helps. Particularly.

EDIT:
Also, here is a link to the first article I've seen that's actually on-topic and isn't a meme about Leonardo.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016 03:56 PM by Unless »

Offline zwimmy
Female
  • The original zwimmeme
  • 1,658 posts
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2016 09:18 PM »
WHITE PEOPLE

lol chill

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2016 09:59 PM »
I am aware that my own personal views aren't ideal for the preservation of the culture. I don't despise Irish culture and want it to die, I just don't have any personal investment and honestly don't care whether it survives. Also, I find it very annoying when people insist that I ought care a whole lot that the language of “my people” is dying out just because I live here.
And honestly, generally I'm not very happy with myself anyway and wouldn't wish the entirety of my mindset on anyone. I did specifically say that a preferable mindset would be in the middle ground.
It's not hard to imagine why that would be annoying. I'll think about that next time I annoy you about it.

Well for reference, we got ‘Irish potatoes’ from America so let's call it even? But on an actually serous note, did you mean you're jealous of the language?
I don't really know anything about Gaelic but I'm definitely jealous of most Europeans for your heritage.

Well on that note, I know I'm particularly prone to pushing people's buttons anyway, but no doubt that's been particularly pronounced in this thread because today has been particularly iffy for me, which is just particularly prone to happening when I'm staying at my parent's. Also —
Hope you feel better soon, and you haven't been pushing my buttons (but if you want I can show you how (meet me in the girl's locker room after volleyball today)).

I typed this with intentions of making it clearer that I was being hyperbolic. I don't passionately hate anything except on very bad days, and for reference I do think you're a pretty cool, Bam.
Oh yeah I know you don't hate your own culture, but I also don't think you should take it for granted, and I maintain that stance. Obviously the feeling is mutual or else I wouldn't be talking to you. I would never type this much in response to someone I didn't like, who I didn't care about conversing with, even if it's ostensibly an argument (which strengthen relationships).

Well… yeah. Good for them, then. That's not exactly related to me or my personal achievements, as you say. And as I've said, I don't really care about pride in things over which you had no influence, and I find it annoying when people insist that I should, but I guess I'm not demanding nobody does? I realise that's a contradiction, though. Hadn't had a conversation so thorough about this before, so it hadn't been relevant. Neat, I'll have a think about that.
It might not be related to your personal achievements, but it's certainly integral to most of theirs. Now you can thank them for Europe becoming a Muslim wasteland on account of mass displacement due to American interventionist policies on behalf of the Israel's apartheid state. Every other race wishes they could fuck everything up as much as the Jews and get away with it. Do think about that.

Mmrm. If I recall correctly, I only really change that about as often as my avatar, which I've lately only been changing every week or two. But then again, if I recall correctly, my memory isn't what it used to be.

If it helps, I do intend to change the avatar again before I head home, to something ye've already seen and should find incredibly appropriate, just generally. Feel free to then retroactively apply that onto these posts. If it helps. Particularly.
You'll always be Unless to me.

Also, here is a link to the first article I've seen that's actually on-topic and isn't a meme about Leonardo.
I figured that article would be about Deakins when I saw the url. Thanks for the link. My father is a fan of his.

On the topic of Gorgeous Men who Never Won an Oscar:

The fact that this man, your national treasure, never won any of his eight nominations proves beyond doubt what a fucking joke both our little award show and the democratic process in general are, especially when it comes to art.

Offline Stu4U
Male
  • i'm dying, squirtle.
  • 926 posts
    • superstu4u on Skype
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016 10:05 PM »
i thought this thread was about the oscars

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016 10:08 PM »
It's about whatever you want it to be.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,159 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
    • http://www.thebackalleys.com
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016 11:57 PM »

Offline Unless
Female
  • rascal, be
  • 507 posts
« Reply #37 on: March 1, 2016 05:19 AM »
It might not be related to your personal achievements, but it's certainly integral to most of theirs. Now you can thank them for Europe becoming a Muslim wasteland on account of mass displacement due to American interventionist policies on behalf of the Israel's apartheid state. Every other race wishes they could fuck everything up as much as the Jews and get away with it. Do think about that.
Yeah. My step grandfather was a Jew (who didn't get detained) during WW2, but he also lived abroad and always gave out in his reply letters about how I didn't send him any letters, whenever I sent him any. Other than that, I meant that Jewish culture hasn't had a significant personal effect on my life and hasn't been something I've had to think about beforehand. Not that it didn't matter at all. I like these conversations.

I don't really know anything about Gaelic but I'm definitely jealous of most Europeans for your heritage.
I am legitimately having trouble understanding your viewpoint. You can still look up the history and present and gain knowledge and become invested regardless of who your ancestors are. Are you jealous that despite the fact that you can do this, your family will never innately have any of these intricacies and traditions? If that's it, then being jealous of me personally doesn't make much sense, which might attest to my despondency at this thing as a whole. People often find cultural appropriate weird when done on a smaller scale, but you're an adult and can do what you want. I have a friend who's crazy into the American civil war and the lessons he feels it teaches us, despite never being over to that side of the world. Good for him.

i thought this thread was about the oscars
What an excellent demonstration of appropriate usage of the past tense.

I find that on forums that don't punish people for going off-topic, the most efficient way of staying on-topic is being the thread owner and kicking up a fuss and letting everybody know that you hate them for not just creating another thread instead of derailing your own. But the best way that also doesn't make everything think of you as a little bitch forever is to make (non meme, non externally-hosted video/article) posts relevant to the original topic.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 1, 2016 05:24 AM by Unless »

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #38 on: March 1, 2016 06:28 AM »
Yeah. My step grandfather was a Jew (who didn't get detained) during WW2, but he also lived abroad and always gave out in his reply letters about how I didn't send him any letters, whenever I sent him any. Other than that, I meant that Jewish culture hasn't had a significant personal effect on my life and hasn't been something I've had to think about beforehand. Not that it didn't matter at all. I like these conversations.
I was talking about the Jews collectively. Their culture may not have a direct effect on you, but it certainly has a direct effect on geopolitics, especially American foreign policy. If you don't consider yourself affected by mass immigration, I won't try to change your mind.

I am legitimately having trouble understanding your viewpoint. You can still look up the history and present and gain knowledge and become invested regardless of who your ancestors are. Are you jealous that despite the fact that you can do this, your family will never innately have any of these intricacies and traditions? If that's it, then being jealous of me personally doesn't make much sense, which might attest to my despondency at this thing as a whole. People often find cultural appropriate weird when done on a smaller scale, but you're an adult and can do what you want. I have a friend who's crazy into the American civil war and the lessons he feels it teaches us, despite never being over to that side of the world. Good for him.
I'm jealous of the fact that you're immersed in an interesting culture whereas I'm several generations removed from one, and your house wasn't built on the bloodstains of genocide and chattel slavery so you don't have to feel guilty about taking pride in it.

What an excellent demonstration of appropriate usage of the past tense.
It still is kind of. I'd relate the problem of cultural inheritance to reasons why the arts as a whole are suffering, especially film.

Mayhem's cool.

Offline Unless
Female
  • rascal, be
  • 507 posts
« Reply #39 on: March 1, 2016 06:54 AM »
Jewish culture has played a part in how I've come to be born and alive, and so did the Ancient Romans' and the Dinosaurs. Obviously I've read The Merchant of Venice and thought about cutting pounds of flesh off people — and I'm grateful to Shakespear for saying what we're all thinking in that regard — but the intricacies of what it actually means to be Jewish haven't come into play in my personal experiences as an Irish youth, and until relatively recently I didn't really used to care about a thing in the world, let alone what it would mean for a person to have been born in a way that I wasn't. Also, the racial diversity here is actually disappointingly tiny.
« Last Edit: March 1, 2016 07:02 AM by Unless »