88th Annual Mediocrity Awards

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #40 on: March 1, 2016 07:11 AM »
Yes because you identify as Irish and not Jewish, so I'm speaking to you as an Irish lass and not a Jewish one.

I don't really know how else to express this. The fact you call yourself Irish is proof enough the culture must hold some importance to you.

Offline Unless
Female
  • rascal, be
  • 507 posts
« Reply #41 on: March 1, 2016 07:40 AM »
I have a citizenship in Ireland and “Where are you from?” is a very common question.

I'm just fundamentally not grasping this.

Sorry for exhausting you.

But you were the one who insisted on the locker rooms, so I guess you had it coming.
*whistles the theme song to your least favourite anime*

Offline basketweaver
  • a cloud on the wind
  • 209 posts
« Reply #42 on: March 1, 2016 07:50 PM »
Yes being proud of your ethnicity, nationality, etc. might seem stupid because you didn't do anything to achieve them, but the same could be said of genetics and upbringing which are other major factors to individual success.

Pride in these things is really just pride in your heritage, which is healthy and prevents cultures and societies from decaying.

i agree in theory, but ethnolinguistic nationalism is 1) objectively not real, and 2) extremely modern and unaristocratic. i think civic nationalism is pretty cool though tbh: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civic_nationalism. also @Unless I think civic nationalism answers some of your objections.

i do agree that culture and heritage and ancestral preservation are good, but IMO our obligations to these things aren't genetic. i also think that a great person should be a cosmopolitan citizen-of-the-world who acknowledges, respects, appreciates, but also transcends his or her cultural upbringing

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #43 on: March 1, 2016 08:10 PM »
Oh yeah I wasn't trying to defend ethnic nationalism, I just don't think there's anything inherently wrong with being proud of your ethnicity as it relates to your heritage, because if you ask me pride in one's heritage is the least narcissistic kind of pride there is.

Offline basketweaver
  • a cloud on the wind
  • 209 posts
« Reply #44 on: March 1, 2016 08:21 PM »
Oh yeah I wasn't trying to defend ethnic nationalism, I just don't think there's anything inherently wrong with being proud of your ethnicity as it relates to your heritage, because if you ask me pride in one's heritage is the least narcissistic kind of pride there is.

sounds good to me then