The Project Itoh movies

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« on: April 18, 2016 09:43 PM »
Empire of Corpses premieres tomorrow (not near me unfortunately).

Harmony comes out in a month (hopefully near me).

Genocidal Organ is still in production (RIP Manglobe).

Anyone plan to see any of them?

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016 08:49 PM »
Harmony is a hauntingly beautiful, if flawed, work of art. I highly encourage anyone within flying distance to see it tomorrow (if you can find it playing with subtitles).

It's probably my favorite thing Studio 4°C has ever put out.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,157 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
    • http://www.thebackalleys.com
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016 01:05 AM »
that trailer is giving me a headache with the non-stop camera pans

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,157 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016 01:07 AM »
it is playing near me but i'm not really sure i'm interested in seeing it based on the previous works of the scriptwriter

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016 12:10 PM »
Oh hell yeah there are a lot of pans and tracking shots (made possible through CG!), and repetitive lines a la Tekkon Kinkreet, and yes they're all annoying and my friends and I were laughing about them afterwards. I don't mind a lot of camera movement though, as long as it's not handheld, and queasy cam is sparse in this.

What specifically did Koji Yamamoto do that would deter you? If it's any consolation, this and Empire of Corpses are his only screenwriting credits, and they're both based on novels.

I would only half recommend seeing it tbh, only if it's playing subbed and you really care about supporting Funi's film distribution.

Personally I really liked it but I'm super forgiving of movies like this.

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016 12:19 PM »
Also yeah I just checked and it's only playing dubbed today in Seattle, which means you'd have to suffer through this voice track:

If you're still curious in a few months I'd suggest just torrenting it.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,157 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016 07:26 PM »
the dub is also playing in bellevue the city i live in

What specifically did Koji Yamamoto do that would deter you?

anohana

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016 08:10 PM »
Whatever problems you had with Anohana you should probably blame on Mari Okada. She's pretty fucking awful.

I am curious as to what specifically you disliked about it, because I can think of a lot of things.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,157 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016 09:05 PM »
what i disliked about anohana? pretty much everything. i didn't hate it, but i didn't like it either. it was just depressing, emotionally manipulative, the supporting cast was lame. in a lot of ways it reminded me of 5cm per sec in its hamfisted attempt at connecting with the audience. maybe it just wasn't "for me"

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016 09:16 PM »
Even so it's still one of the best things she's written.

I need to watch it again but I hope you're open to discussing it then.

In the meantime please expect this in the mail in a few days.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,157 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016 10:09 PM »
that is horrifying

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016 03:08 AM »
Okay I watched Anohana again in two sittings and I can definitely see where you're coming from. I think the only difference of opinion is that I think it could have easily been far, far better than it was, and only a few narrative missteps kept it from "fukken masturpiece" status.

it was just depressing
I'd argue it wasn't depressing enough, but more on that in a sec.

emotionally manipulative
It definitely falls into a lot of the trappings of melodrama, but I don't really hold that against it. It's important to remember that the entire cast is in arrested development for the duration of the show due to survivor's guilt. They're stuck in childhood. It's a bit unbelievable yeah, but the trope "treasured young ingenue dies and leaves community/norms to unravel" isn't peculiar to Anohana, but the only other example I can think of off hand is the wake scene from The Host.

the supporting cast was lame.
They definitely weren't fleshed out enough, but again, it's a melodrama, so I can forgive stock characterizations to an extent. I think most of my problems with the cast could have been resolved by writing in more flashbacks that showed how precious Meiko was to them and why she was the glue that held their group and psyches together.

My own gripes mostly stem from the plotting. I really liked the ambiguity the show had in the early episodes in which we weren't sure whether Meiko was a ghost or merely MC's stress-induced hallucination, and was sad to see this resolved in an extremely cliche way. It would have been better had Meiko's ghost only represented their need for collective healing and growth, which could only happen upon reunion with each other, rather than with the dead.

I also thought Meiko's unconditional "liking" of everyone she knew was a fantastic character trait and was totally ruined in the last scene where she professed her love to MC. Making her flawless as a symbol of childhood innocence and norms and whatnot made sense, but making her flawless as a person is just bad writing, especially when the alternative would have made her a much more three-dimensional character.

That said it's still probably the best thing Okada has written and I'd even go as far to say it's conceptually better than the vast majority of anime and even fiction in general. She simply didn't know how to accentuate its strengths toward the end, as usual.

Tune in next time for more reviews of 5 year old anime.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,157 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016 03:24 AM »
"conceptually better" than most anime maybe so but it's not worth much when the application of it wasn't all that great. lots of things sound great on paper