thebackalleys
meeples and greentext
You are not logged in.
( Login | Register )

blade runner 2049

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,223 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
    • http://www.thebackalleys.com
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« on: October 3, 2017 04:46 PM »

can someone go see this movie before me and tell me if the critics are just memeing or not i refuse to believe this movie isn't horrible

Offline Stu4U
Male
  • i'm dying, squirtle.
  • 919 posts
    • superstu4u on Skype
« Reply #1 on: October 3, 2017 08:01 PM »
im gonna watch it this weekend.

things i want to see:

- a glimpse of what the off world colonies are like.
- gosling's character showing genuine emotions and not getting beat up like a little bitch like how ford did while confronting the replicants.
- more props less cgi

things i dont want to see but might happen anyway:

-politics of this day and age to influence how the film is written.
-special effects/props that look nothing like the original blade runner world.. similar to what happened with gits.
-deckard being a replicant
-a cgi spinner chase scene

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,223 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #2 on: October 3, 2017 08:42 PM »
i agree with everything except that
not getting beat up like a little bitch like how ford did while confronting the replicants.

deckard getting bested by batty had to happen or the climax of the film and the overarching narrative of his character wouldn't have had any impact or wouldn't even have been able to happen

Offline Stu4U
Male
  • i'm dying, squirtle.
  • 919 posts
    • superstu4u on Skype
« Reply #3 on: October 3, 2017 10:23 PM »
oh yea of course.

but its just that 2/3 other replicants got to beat him up to near death before he gets saved by someone else intervening (crowd of girls potentially witnessing zora murder someone / rachel shoots leon). i understand replicants are stronger than humans but you would think that blade runners are trained specifically to take care of things like this. call me picky but at least have him be able to kill 2/4 replicants on his own.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2017 10:50 PM by Stu4U »

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,223 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2017 12:37 AM »
he killed zhora and pris, two of the four replicants. it's true that he would have died if rachael didn't kill leon and roy could have obviously let him die.

deckard was also retired when bryant asked him to do the job - idk if we know how long he was retired, it's true that he says he was the best blade runner, but it's possible that he's past his prime or hasn't hunted down a replicant in a while. all the replicants he was assigned to kill were also nexus-6 replicants, designed much stronger and more agile than previous models because of the work they were required to do.

and of course it's a movie and if deckard kills them all with relative ease then the movie lacks tension

Offline Yvonne
Female
  • heartless lepidoptera killer
  • 236 posts
    • alka_jane on Skype
« Reply #5 on: October 4, 2017 06:23 PM »
Tension's going to be jam-packed with Gosling's angst and silence shots. And environment music score-accompanied shots.

You's go kill 2/4 replicants on your own.

Can't wait. They've played with politics back then, and it would make sense for this one to cater to the one now, at least in partial.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,223 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #6 on: October 5, 2017 03:37 PM »
i don't particularly care for gosling or leto but maybe they can change my mind

Offline Stu4U
Male
  • i'm dying, squirtle.
  • 919 posts
    • superstu4u on Skype
« Reply #7 on: October 7, 2017 05:50 PM »
- a glimpse of what the off world colonies are like.
(click to show/hide)

- gosling's character showing genuine emotions.
i was sort of predicting this since i saw the first trailer:
(click to show/hide)

- more props less cgi
-special effects/props that look nothing like the original blade runner world.
(click to show/hide)

-politics of this day and age to influence how the film is written.
(click to show/hide)

-deckard being a replicant
(click to show/hide)

-a cgi spinner chase scene
(click to show/hide)

overall it was great. i absolutely recommend watching it in theaters, especially for the soundtrack and visuals.

strangely enough my theater was only half full. and one of my friends who works at another theater in maine says that most of the showings including imax barely got filled up at all. so theres a high chance it'll bomb on sales but will become a cult classic much like the original. more people might be interested to see it through word of mouth while its still in theaters but it probably wouldnt make a huge impact.

it also makes me appreciate these three shorts a bit more knowing that they actually do help explain some events that happened between the original and 2049.

« Last Edit: October 7, 2017 08:30 PM by Stu4U »

Offline Yvonne
Female
  • heartless lepidoptera killer
  • 236 posts
    • alka_jane on Skype
« Reply #8 on: October 8, 2017 09:29 AM »
Maybe they'll wait on half-price Tuesday discounts. Or they'll do the normal thing and watch it later. When they can squeeze in time to. Discounts on tickets. That's the dream.