resource-united
thebackalleys
puppies and memes
You are not logged in.
( Login | Register )

Daft Punk are going full out disco. How will this affect the music industry?

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,159 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
    • http://www.thebackalleys.com
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2013 02:05 PM »
no music videos? that's disappointing. they always made fun videos. and the get lucky teaser makes you think there's a full version of that somewhere.

Offline W.A.C.
Male
  • 2,202 posts
  • Awards OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • http://wac01.deviantart.com/
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2013 09:05 PM »
The idea behind no music videos is to leave more to the imagination...though everytime I hear Get Lucky, I can't help but think of the 60 second video. It's definitely a disappointing decision, but at least their marketing has been very successful so far. Still, I can't help but feel a music video to Get Lucky would've helped sales in the U.S. since us Americans like watching music videos on YouTube so much.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,159 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2013 09:16 PM »
i think it's just more likely they didn't want to go through the effort/have no reason to and so they came up with an excuse not to

Offline lasse
Male
  • 1,108 posts
  • This user is permanently banned

Reason: not funny
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2013 06:04 AM »

episode 9

Offline RichChap
  • 535 posts
    • http://belgianman.com/djkristoffer
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2013 08:05 AM »
"This daft punk album would probably be really good to take drugs and listen to on a rainy bridge across the gulf of mexico but I dnt know ... Reminds me of when I was 19 really high and listened to kid a over and over again but I don't know if yung kids will get It ... I think the song with julian casablancas would be better with marky mark walbergs character from boogie nights doing the vocals ... The song with todd edwards makes me feel like I'm alone at waffle house and the jukebox is broken and only micheal mcdonald plays out of it ... Motherboard sounds like a coked up austrian guy working on chariots of fire soundtrack then got fired but I fuck with it."

Offline Sinitron
  • This is Duke.
  • 5,705 posts
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2013 08:00 AM »
yeah i didn't really like this album

human after all was more interesting than this

they have some ok groove going on every now and then

but as a whole it sort of falls flat and doesn't really have much charm

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,159 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2013 10:10 PM »
http://hypem.com/track/1wrxv/Daft+Punk+-+Horizon+%28Japan-only+bonus+track%29

nice relaxing track. nothing jaw dropping but a good addition

Offline lasse
Male
  • 1,108 posts
  • This user is permanently banned

Reason: not funny
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2013 12:50 AM »
should have been on instead of within or game of love

Offline Alta Don
  • 882 posts
  • Awards PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy!
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2013 10:02 AM »
Honestly I wasn't crazy about the album by first listen. However, the second listen was a turn for the better. It really grew on me. I absolutely love the new styles of music Daft Punk took on with this release. Some presonal favorites would be Give Life Back to Music, Giorgio by Moroder, Touch, Get Lucky, Motherboard, Doin' It Right & Contact. My only cons is that some of the vocoders weren't really doing much for me and there were some spots that seemed kinda corny to me but this is common with Daft Punk, so its all good. Probably gonna pick up a copy soon.

Offline zwimmy
Female
  • The original zwimmeme
  • 1,658 posts
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2013 10:02 PM »
11/10 best album ever my life is complete

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #130 on: June 1, 2013 10:50 PM »
To be perfectly honest, and I hate to sound negative, cynical or condescending in any way but that’s probably how this will come off, I’ve been really bummed with most of the new music that’s been making waves in 2013. I feel like the “big” sound in dance music right now is just this mashup of every single subgenre possible, to try and appeal to the most people possible, with these cheesy played-out trance pads and vocal hooks, it all sounds exactly the same and it’s really bad for the most part, and the scariest thing is that people are reacting to this stuff, crowds at festivals and clubs are wanting more of it. A few of us have deemed it the EDM Apocolypse. Dance music is in a really weird place right now. I don’t know where it’s going to go. In some way I’m hoping Daft Punk single-handedly destroys this phenomenon we’re experiencing and un-brainwashes everybody into realizing that real music should have some soul and authenticity to it, and not just be a big kick drum and a trance breakdown with a cheesy one-liner and a “big drop.”
Best marketing ever.

Offline funzop
  • ┗ (・o・ ) ┓
  • 3,980 posts
« Reply #131 on: June 3, 2013 10:26 AM »
it won't affect the industry in the slightest
sincerely,
nonzop

Offline AccountMountain
  • retrosmash is my homeboy
  • 53 posts
« Reply #132 on: June 4, 2013 02:55 AM »
I enjoyed it but I did not at the same time. Sure it had its moments, and Get Lucky is a very relaxing track to have playing in the back. Pharrell Williams was a nice touch, too. I just feel that it was nothing like their older work, where it was mainly house music that was really made for dancing to. Random Access Memories is obviously more funk influenced, and Daft Punk seem to be more interested in producing mellow tunes now. The vocoder was a little bit redundant but I tolerated it.

Still, it's a very good album nonetheless. "Doin' It Right" ft. Panda Bear (if you know Animal Collective) is a pretty good track as well.

Offline RichChap
  • 535 posts
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2013 07:29 PM »

Offline zwimmy
Female
  • The original zwimmeme
  • 1,658 posts
« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2013 09:37 AM »
This is awesome!

Offline Flash
Male
  • holy hotsauce! you've grown an extra millimeter!
  • 1,782 posts
  • Awards IRC REGULAR: this user is one of the top irc chatters! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2013 07:59 PM »
it won't affect the industry in the slightest
sincerely,
nonzop

i came here after ages without checking this topic out just to say that this thread's title really fucking annoys me (why would daft punk affect the music industry???? they're not exactly avant-garde!!!)
but it looks like you kind of beat me to it, in a way

Offline funzop
  • ┗ (・o・ ) ┓
  • 3,980 posts
« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2013 08:49 PM »
yeah exactly. this album is hardly boundary pushing or genre-defying in terms of electronic music, nor is it bringing anything unique to the world of modern pop.
that said, i was pleasantly surprised by this album. i haven't given too much of a shit about daft punk's previous releases really and had kind of dismissed them as being boring, but i liked this album well enough and after reading an interview with them, i've gained a respect towards their mindset in approaching electronic music from a fresher perspective than a lot of their peers. it is still sort of boring, but it's solid and fun. really well produced.

Offline RichChap
  • 535 posts
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2013 04:50 PM »

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,159 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2013 05:13 PM »
i'm not installing spotify just to listen to that

Offline Alta Don
  • 882 posts
  • Awards PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy!
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2013 06:03 PM »
Honestly, you're not missing much. I thought it was going to be a full out remix but it was just an extended version. Nothing that special.

In other news, producer Nicolas Jaar released a remix album of the new daft punk album. The remixes are very bizarre and sound incredibly different from the originals but its definitely worth a listen.

https://soundcloud.com/daftside-2/sets/random-access-memories-1