Female
  • 160 posts
    • alka_jane on Skype
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« on: February 13, 2017 02:09 PM »
Holy gamoly.

(click to show/hide)

By far my favourite - and wished I could have stayed to listen to all of the music rolling through the end credits.

Edit: It is indeed brutal.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017 03:14 PM by Yvonne »

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • Flip Flap Motherfucker
  • 3,058 posts
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017 07:43 PM »
But

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • Flip Flap Motherfucker
  • 3,058 posts
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017 07:43 PM »
is it better than the Lego Batman movie?

Offline BluPhoenix
Male
  • rich evans laugh echoes throughout ye banquet hall
  • 3,893 posts
  • Awards IRC REGULAR: this user is one of the top irc chatters!
    • bluphoenix7 on Skype
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017 10:23 PM »
saw it on sunday, it was really good. pretty much everything an action sequel should be- larger-scale, higher-intensity, and world-building. one thing i really appreciate about these movies is its capacity to expand upon the underworld that the assassins live in, you get a sense for just how much detail and planning went into the film

i dont quite agree on a "lack of narrative" unless you're just not paying attention to what's going on (bad guy exploiting the continental's guidelines and amenities to get his way for the sake of a power grab) but script-wise i'd say it was on equal ground with its predecessor, snappy and concise- but what this definitely had over the original was the level of visual stimulus. colour and lighting was phenomenal, and some of their setpieces (like the light and mirror exhibit at the end) were so fuckin cool and inventive for the action, it's easy to be sucked into what's happening

overall it was pretty excellent, it did exactly what i wanted, which was expanding on a lot of things they touched on in the original, continue showing john himself as a mortal being despite his capabilities, and doubling down on the kill count

(click to show/hide)
[12:59 AM] elm: yea honestly if you dont want to cum on elmer fudds bald head whats wrong with you
4:08 PM - ExBerian: can you draw me a nina williams being (fucked)
[07:49.46] <+slack> cum erupts from the dick at an alarming rate
[07:49.59] <+slack> it will blast off and slap the wall at like 40 mph

[1:17 AM] Darreus: iF ONLY I could Geind my ass on ym balls that'd be pretty cool but im too busy contemplating being a girl at 1 in the morning

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • Flip Flap Motherfucker
  • 3,058 posts
« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:49 PM »
Le nihilistic sentimental self-aware pastiche antihero action neo-noir revenge movie is kind of a tired genre but this wasn't too offensive an addition to it. That is my thought, because this movie defies more than one, and that's what I kind of dislike about lite-pomo action movies. It's like critiquing an (admittedly funny and entertaining) shaggy dog story.

Definitely agree with Blu in that the criminal underworld in these movies is really good, and a more interesting plot mechanic (and main character) than its protagonist, whose contractions kinda got old after the first hour in the first movie. It looked nice, but like the mirror hall shout-out at the end, it's also not new, or terribly interesting, because it wants to be an upper mid-brow Hong Kong action crime thriller and Crank/Taken at the same time, to make itself equally palatable to audiences of both.

Laurence Fishburne was my favorite part.