( Login | Register )

Official TBA StarCraft II Thread

Offline Gladius
Male
  • hot ham n cheese
  • 1,275 posts
  • This user is permanently banned
« Reply #340 on: January 3, 2012 02:57 PM »
xel'naga towers in better spots would do it good, the expansions in the middle are kinda gay

i don't get why they are regular blue while being in such high-risk locations

...and what's with all the rocks?

▬ஜ۩☆۩ஜ▬ ---★☆★☆★ DONALD TRUMP 2016 ★☆★☆★--- ▬ஜ۩☆۩ஜ▬

Offline cipher
  • 1,606 posts
  • Awards IRC REGULAR: this user is one of the top irc chatters!
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #341 on: January 3, 2012 05:24 PM »
Blizzard loves themselves a nice pair of rocks

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
    • http://www.thebackalleys.com
« Reply #342 on: January 3, 2012 06:05 PM »
i see they still can't figure out how to balance the game

Offline Sinitron
  • This is Duke.
  • 5,705 posts
  • Awards OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
« Reply #343 on: January 3, 2012 06:44 PM »
there's nothing really horrifyingly unbalanced though and i mean according to this protoss is underpowered but they're still the most irritating to fight anyway

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #344 on: January 3, 2012 09:25 PM »
are you blind? terran has been on the top for 9 months straight and now at a 10% margin vs protoss

protoss might be annoying to fight for you but in general terran dominates protoss with ease

i'm not saying terran should be nerfed, im' saying protoss is missing something - probably KA it's still painfully obvious they removed it without considering the consequences or even attempting to balance it

Offline Sinitron
  • This is Duke.
  • 5,705 posts
« Reply #345 on: January 3, 2012 10:06 PM »
for 9 months straight, terran has been consistently nerfed, even in pointless areas like barracks build time (which is incredibly irritating if you have the depot>barracks>orbital timing down perfectly), people won't be happy until every mineral-only terran unit has been removed etc

these are supposed to be pro players, terran rewards excellent micro more than the other races because every unit is ranged

what i mean re: protoss is that you have to be kind of an enormous cock-knocker to want to play them in the first place, since every protoss player ever will cannon rush, put pylons at your expansion, do proxy gates or retard 4gates

the KA nerf was justified in that warp-in storms were ridiculous, and the wait for the HT to save up energy to storm isn't that bad

the problem though comes from the HT being ridiculously slow and colossi being way too mobile, while at the same time the units they're mainly intended to counter (ling/muta and mmm) are also stupidly fast to move around

this problem didn't exist in brood war because marines sucked shit and the pathfinding was terrible, the units as a whole were a lot slower so the pacing of the high templar and reaver weren't as much of an issue, they could both to enormous amounts of damage but with several drawbacks and prohibitive costs (such as paying for each scarab the reaver would fire)

they tried to remedy this with the warp prism buff, which has seen an increase in popularity due to players like whitera

going back to brood war though, there's another key difference; warpgates

the ability to reinforce just about anywhere or sending a 200 mineral unit to look for openings to do damage (as opposed to multiple fully loaded medivacs or overlords) is too much for gateway units to be buffed in any way (plus it would fuck up PvP even more) except for possibly storm damage

colossi also have far too few drawbacks compared to reavers for their mobility, essentially ditching shuttles/warp prisms altogether just to drive home the point that they're the lazy man's choice

basically, the game should be balanced around TvT/TvZ/ZvZ because anything involving protoss is gay as shit

look, TvZ is starting to even out quite nicely too, that's the only thing that matters

Offline Sinitron
  • This is Duke.
  • 5,705 posts
« Reply #346 on: January 3, 2012 10:10 PM »
reavers could blow everything to shit but required skill, precision and patience to use, while colossi are a really boring replacement

for high templar to get khaydarin amulet back, storm would have to be nerfed

anti-micro abilities need to go (conc shell, thor cannon, fungal, neural, forcefield, vortex and maybe graviton)

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #347 on: January 4, 2012 12:23 AM »
and that's why i'm saying terran doesn't need to be nerfed

the problem with removing KA because it was overpowered due to warp-in storms was obviously just a knee-jerk reaction to the problem, whereas things like ghost EMP weren't removed but rather tweaked. why can't KA stay in the game but HT storm has a cool-down on warp-in? that is a much more obvious and intelligent solution to the problem. now the only people reason go templar is so they can make archons.

storm isn't even that powerful compared to fungal in that you can micro out of it. if it was nerfed, nobody would use it because it's already not that great to begin with.

the whole game is balanced around anti-micro spells and that's the larger issue and part of the reason i just don't ladder anymore. they can't fix the root of the problem without completely overhauling the game mechanics and they're never going to do that.

and most terrans will never admit it but they still are punished the least out of any race for what they do. you can still fail a bunker rush, a hellion drop and have a shit economy and still win the game while bunkering in. i still see terrans pull it off today while being outplayed by their opponents in every way. kind of pathetic really that the game is still the same it was when i stopped playing it

Offline Gladius
Male
  • hot ham n cheese
  • 1,275 posts
  • This user is permanently banned
« Reply #348 on: January 4, 2012 08:02 AM »
Dear Metzen,

Protoss is not fun/interesting/bearable and probably never will be so just remove them in the next patch and make the lore say they all became extinct. Behold: your game is fixed.
▬ஜ۩☆۩ஜ▬ ---★☆★☆★ DONALD TRUMP 2016 ★☆★☆★--- ▬ஜ۩☆۩ஜ▬

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #349 on: January 4, 2012 01:20 PM »
there's already enough mirror matchups with 3 races

they should add a 4th :wile:

Offline psi43
Male
  • purple poop
  • 9,075 posts
  • Awards OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09 IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc!
« Reply #350 on: January 4, 2012 07:51 PM »
yeah, the saiyajin.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #351 on: January 5, 2012 12:13 AM »
fun fact, if you don't play any games an entire season, the next season your mmr will be gone. i had 5 placement matched on 1v1 and i tried it out of curiosity, i played against and beat 2 bronzies. i was in high diamond the last time i played

Offline Sinitron
  • This is Duke.
  • 5,705 posts
« Reply #352 on: January 5, 2012 01:43 AM »
yeah we noticed this when several of our team mmrs were wiped

PERFECT opportunity to ditch 5 games and then rack up MAD WINS!!!!!!

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #353 on: January 5, 2012 01:50 AM »
i find bronze to be rather boring, there's no challenge at all. i can totally ignore them and just do whatever i want, and no matter what they make i can always win

Offline Sinitron
  • This is Duke.
  • 5,705 posts
« Reply #354 on: January 5, 2012 02:22 AM »
and that's why i'm saying terran doesn't need to be nerfed

the problem with removing KA because it was overpowered due to warp-in storms was obviously just a knee-jerk reaction to the problem, whereas things like ghost EMP weren't removed but rather tweaked. why can't KA stay in the game but HT storm has a cool-down on warp-in? that is a much more obvious and intelligent solution to the problem. now the only people reason go templar is so they can make archons.

I suggested this when the nerf was first implemented. Templar tech used to be pretty fun and flexible unlike the other Protoss tech trees, and downplaying it after nerfing the shit out of Void Rays (even though this was justified) while buffing robo tech felt really shitty to me even though I only play Protoss as random. Again, the core of the problem is how Protoss is designed, warp-in gives them more of a Zerg feel compared to Starcraft and Brood War. As far as EMP is concerned, it's kind of silly because in Brood War ghosts had lockdown, which completely shut down mechanical units for a while, essentially the ultimate anti-micro ability, which would be hilarious against Colossi.

storm isn't even that powerful compared to fungal in that you can micro out of it. if it was nerfed, nobody would use it because it's already not that great to begin with.

the whole game is balanced around anti-micro spells and that's the larger issue and part of the reason i just don't ladder anymore. they can't fix the root of the problem without completely overhauling the game mechanics and they're never going to do that.

This comes down to forcefields basically, where Zerg uses one ability to the same effect, Protoss needs two. In addition, they can't buff storm either, because feedback allows High Templar to utterly destroy every single Terran high-end unit as well as any caster in their path, and unlike the Colossus' beams it also shreds air units. Essentially, my opinion is that the High Templar is too flexible; it's a high-powered late-game unit which can't be allowed to truly excel because of warp-in and being so good against essentially everything Terran save for tanks, ghosts and maaaaybe marauders.

If High Templar, or Templar as a whole, were unable to use the warp-in mechanic and fewer Terran units were susceptible to feedback, they could receive a buff or adjustment to the power of storm and their overall energy reserves. Giving Thors cooldown again or removing 250mm cannons completely (it's an anti-micro ability anyway) wouldn't be a bad start, though I don't know what to do about the air units. Brood War Dropships had no energy compared to Medivacs, though nothing is as satisfying as using feedback on a fully loaded Medivac and watching it crash and burn. Battlecruisers, Ravens and Banshees all have special abilities.... I would say cooldown for the Battlecruiser, but Protoss would be hard pressed to counter a fleet of fully charged 3/3 Cattlebruisers with Yamato (as if that ever happens one on one anyway). Then again, Robo and Stargate tech both counter factory-based armies already, letting Templar have a field day with air would be fine.

i don't know just BRAINSTORMING

and most terrans will never admit it but they still are punished the least out of any race for what they do. you can still fail a bunker rush, a hellion drop and have a shit economy and still win the game while bunkering in. i still see terrans pull it off today while being outplayed by their opponents in every way. kind of pathetic really that the game is still the same it was when i stopped playing it

A failed bunker rush would delay an expansion at best but still leave the offending player with some troops at least. As for a Hellion drop, it's essentially some variant of a 1/1/1 build, meaning it is standard. A medivac with 3 hellions is 400 minerals and 100 gas, by 'failed' do you mean shot down completely or merely driven off? I don't do crazy off-the-wall shit that involves cutting workers so idk, but as long as they can conserve their forces and keep up SCV production it's more or less standard play.

As far as Terran is concerned, I'd rather have the old barracks build time back and if marines are so bad giving them 5 damage instead of 6 (I think they did 6 damage?) with +1 bonus vs air or possibly light (since Marauders are anti-armor anyway). That's just brainstorming for early game stuff though, Terran would need a huge buff to their late-game to make up for it (tech reactor upgrade).

Offline Sinitron
  • This is Duke.
  • 5,705 posts
« Reply #355 on: January 5, 2012 02:23 AM »
i find bronze to be rather boring, there's no challenge at all. i can totally ignore them and just do whatever i want, and no matter what they make i can always win

yeah exactly, you can do almost whatever you want and win anyway, carrier rush, mass hydras, landed vikings, you fucking name it

bronze owns

Offline Sinitron
  • This is Duke.
  • 5,705 posts
« Reply #356 on: January 5, 2012 02:36 AM »
basically i don't play sc2 because i'm super-competetive, i just like making a bunch of little assholes and watch them kill some other assholes

Offline Crabarms
  • 2,317 posts
« Reply #357 on: January 5, 2012 02:57 AM »

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #358 on: January 5, 2012 02:59 AM »
i'm not competitive at all but i do enjoy a challenge. rolling my opponents over and over again with no effort is boring

Offline creamcorn
  • 3,295 posts
  • Awards IRC REGULAR: this user is one of the top irc chatters! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
« Reply #359 on: January 5, 2012 06:03 AM »
hey guys i just bought sc2