• Awards OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #900 on: November 18, 2012 02:13 PM »
the tempest is stupid and should be removed

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
    • http://www.thebackalleys.com
« Reply #901 on: November 23, 2012 11:48 PM »
sc2 $20 this weekend for anyone who doesn't have it
http://us.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?f=p:1100002016,p:1100001122

Offline Sinitron
  • This is Duke.
  • 5,705 posts
« Reply #902 on: December 3, 2012 09:12 AM »

Offline Crabarms
  • 2,317 posts
« Reply #903 on: December 9, 2012 12:13 AM »
To accompany the deployment of Heart of the Swarm Beta patch 2.0.2, we’ve compiled a list of all of the balance changes made to the beta since our previous update.

Terran

Medivac
New ability: Emergency Thrusters
Speed boost that increases movement speed and acceleration to 4.25 for 8 seconds. 20 second cooldown.

The Medivac’s Caduceus Reactor upgrade at the Starport Tech Lab:
Health restored per second from 9 to 15.
Energy cost reduced from 3 health per 1 energy to 5 health per 1 energy.
Cost increased from 100/100 and 80 seconds to 150/150 and 110 seconds.

Reaper
Base speed increased from 2.95 to 3.375
Upgraded speed increased from 3.84 to 4.25.

Widow Mine
No longer hits cloaked units.
New upgrade: Drilling Claws
Decreases burrow time from 3 to 1 second.
Requires Tech Lab and Armory. Costs 150/150, 110 second research time.

Thor
250mm Strike Cannons has been removed.
The Thor can now switch between two modes: High-Impact Payload and Explosive Payload. The mode shift takes 4 seconds.
When in High-Impact Payload mode, the Thor switches to a different anti-air gun (250mm Punisher Cannons) that has 10 range and deals 24 flat damage.
Thor radius, inner radius, and separation radius increased from 0.8215 to 1.

Raven
Seeker Missile has been redesigned:
Can now fire from 10 range.
Missile comes out and stays immobile in front of the Raven for 3 seconds while charging up, then rapidly moves (it’s not dodgeable at this point) and explodes at the target for 300 single target damage.
Targeted unit lights up red when targeted. If the unit moves 13 range out of where the Seeker Missile is, the Missile fizzles.

Hellbat
Splash damage radius increased from 90 to 110.

Armory
The Armory now only has one weapon and one armor upgrade for both air and ground upgrades for both Factory and Starport units.

Protoss

Mothership
Recall now functions as it does with the Mothership Core.
Vortex now kills a single target.
Vortex does not affect massive units.

Mothership Core is no longer massive.
Oracle
Pulsar Beam
Now called “Activate Pulsar Beam” and “Deactivate Pulsar Beam”.
When activated, the Oracle’s Pulsar Beam is enabled.
Weapon deals 15+10 light.
Weapon period changed to 0.86, down from 1.
Weapon range reduced to 4.
Energy drain is now 4 per second.

Build time increased to 50, up from 35.

Phoenix
Range increased from 4 to 5. Upgrade still grants +2 range.

Dark Shrine cost is now 100/100, down from 100/250.
Tempest
Now requires Fleet Beacon.
Attacks with two weapons. The primary weapon, Kinetic Overload, hits air units and remains unchanged. The secondary weapon, Resonance Coil, hits ground units, and does not deal bonus damage to massive units.
Build time is now 60, down from 75.

Void Ray
Prismatic Beam:
No longer charges up.
Weapon period decreased from 0.6 to 0.5.
No longer does passive +massive damage.

Prismatic Alignment (new ability) increases damage to armored units by 6 for 20 seconds, with a 1 minute cooldown. This does not scale with upgrades.

Zerg

Hydralisk speed upgrade now requires Lair tech.
Mutalisk
Speed increased from 3.75 to 4. Acceleration stays at 3.5.

Swarm Host health increased from 120 to 160.
Infestor
Fungal Growth:
Is now a projectile.
Speed of the projectile is 10.
Range down to 8.

Infested Terrans no longer gain weapon and armor upgrades.
Infested Terran egg health down to 70.

Ultralisk
Burrow Charge has been removed.
Damage changed from 15+20 armored to 35 flat damage.

Viper health increased from 120 to 150.

some changes for beta. I haven't been playing sc2 as much.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #904 on: December 9, 2012 01:24 AM »
zvt sucks
i can beat mech but not bio. i think everyone agrees the medivac change is op. especially the healing.

Offline cipher
  • 1,606 posts
  • Awards IRC REGULAR: this user is one of the top irc chatters!
« Reply #905 on: December 9, 2012 10:51 AM »
zvt sucks
i can beat mech but not bio. i think everyone agrees the medivac change is op. especially the healing.

That's funny, I've only played a few ZvT games since this patch and its the other way around. Ling/bling/ultra works wonders against bio (have yet to use infestors even). While I haven't tried it, I know hydras now make a good compliment to ultras (brood war style).

With mech though, not much changes all too much until the late game. Ultras are not the best choice here, so I would go with broods. But with a combination of the Thor's new AA mode and the fact that ground/air mech share upgrades, by the time I get broods out, vikings will already be 3/3. Then I just lose. Maybe there's some other strategy I need to be employing...

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #906 on: December 9, 2012 03:01 PM »
to be fair i have not tried ultras yet against bio

mech hasn't changed much but the reason why i can beat it now is because of swarm hosts and vipers (blinding cloud)

Offline cipher
  • 1,606 posts
« Reply #907 on: December 9, 2012 03:40 PM »
mech hasn't changed much but the reason why i can beat it now is because of swarm hosts and vipers (blinding cloud)

Yeah I think broods are going to be slowly phased out against mech terran, in favor of what you just suggested. I'm sure they'll show up from time to time in the late late game, but it'll be much more difficult to pay off.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #908 on: December 9, 2012 03:53 PM »
infestors too. you don't really need them anymore unless you have brood lords to defend. but with lower fungal range and projectile it doesn't work as well. however, if the game is in a stalemate and they haven't seen any spire tech out of you the whole time, a surprise transition to brood lords has won me a few games. just as long as they don't get a chance to react in time with reactor starport vikings.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #909 on: December 9, 2012 03:54 PM »
oh and have an overseer follow your brood lords cuz they like to sprinkle the map with widow mines.

Offline bd648
Male
  • Resident Android
  • 1,235 posts
« Reply #910 on: December 10, 2012 10:01 AM »
oh and have an overseer follow your brood lords cuz they like to sprinkle the map with widow mines.

just a quick note. this was your 20,000th post.

Anyway, from what i have seen there has been a bit of a shift in ZvT lately. Some matches have been.... Just kinda insane.
FRACTALS ARE NOT ART! IT'S MATH!
┌|°з°|┘└|°ε°|┐┌|°з°|┘└|°ε°|┐ Cheers!

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #911 on: December 10, 2012 02:03 PM »
wait you play zerg? or terran? i forget. and are you in the beta too?

Offline bd648
Male
  • Resident Android
  • 1,235 posts
« Reply #912 on: December 10, 2012 04:03 PM »
Only from what i have seen. And i used to play protoss so its not first hand.
FRACTALS ARE NOT ART! IT'S MATH!
┌|°з°|┘└|°ε°|┐┌|°з°|┘└|°ε°|┐ Cheers!

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #913 on: December 10, 2012 05:55 PM »
oh

well yeah matchups are very volatile in the beta right now. you've got medivacs flying as fast as phoenix super healing bio, zerg are learning how to use vipers and oracles are destroying mineral lines faster than blue flame hellions. it's making the game more fast paced than it already was. not sure if that's a good or bad thing yet.

here are some of my recent replays for hots . probably have to put them in your beta replay folder to watch them in the client as it will probably try to open them in wol:

http://www.thebackalleys.com/dump/files/1/294Tb_zvt%20sh%20pushin.SC2Replay <- swarm hosts vs mech
http://www.thebackalleys.com/dump/files/1/551Y5l_zvt%20long%20sh%20bl%20bc.SC2Replay -> swarm hosts, brood lords and blinding cloud vs mech
http://www.thebackalleys.com/dump/files/1/5186yI_zvz%20sh%20tow.SC2Replay <- roach swarm host vs pure roach. close game
http://www.thebackalleys.com/dump/files/1/972sF0_zvt.SC2Replay <- i think this one involves lots of swarm hosts taking down mech play
http://www.thebackalleys.com/dump/files/1/518Tx1_ZvT%20swarm%20hosts%20%2B%20bl.SC2Replay <- swarm hosts and brood lords
http://www.thebackalleys.com/dump/files/1/1894Yv_ZvT%20blinding%20cloud.SC2Replay <- more play with blinding cloud
http://www.thebackalleys.com/dump/files/1/730Ds7_long%20terran.SC2Replay <- very long game with the map cut in half by planetaries. i don't think i used a lot of new units but my opponent used some
http://www.thebackalleys.com/dump/files/1/972N1b_angry%20zerg.SC2Replay <- just some funny rage from a zerg player who appeared friendly to start but wasn't so happy later

don't really have a lot of zvp from patch 8. most people playing terran atm

Offline Sinitron
  • This is Duke.
  • 5,705 posts
« Reply #914 on: December 12, 2012 08:19 AM »
hitler was the most cost-efficient terran unit but only in tvt

Offline psi43
Male
  • purple poop
  • 9,075 posts
  • Awards OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09 IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc!
« Reply #915 on: December 12, 2012 10:44 PM »
I won a beta-key on day9's forum.

hur-ray.

e.
whoops forgot this:

psi

e2.
Okay I've spent quite a bit of time in the main menu (also played some games obviously) and I just have to mention this:
Am I the only one beeing freaked out by the Sarah Kerrigen in the background? Her stare?

I mean she's moving and animated and all but she just doesn't fucking blink.
Usually, I just end up plonking a chat window in front of her face so I don't have to see it.
It's really getting on my nerves.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012 06:01 PM by ΨNicole »

Offline Sinitron
  • This is Duke.
  • 5,705 posts
« Reply #916 on: December 13, 2012 07:52 PM »
i didn't like the menu screen but i wasn't quite as offended and/or scared as you seem to be

Offline psi43
Male
  • purple poop
  • 9,075 posts
  • Awards OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09 IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc!
« Reply #917 on: December 16, 2012 12:50 PM »
Okay, so after playing a handful of games (mainly 1v1 unranked, 1v1 custom, vs AI, 2v2 unranked, 2v2 custom and 2v2 ranked) here's my opinion so far:

1. I realized that Roach Hydra can be a quite nice build against Protoss again. Some may not agree while others do, but I find it to work for me, against gateway units that is. If the Protoss goes air only, a couple of Hydras, big bunch of Corruptors, some Infestors and 2 to maybe 3 Vipers to pull the high priority units above the Hydras/to the Corruptors to focus it down quickly.

2. I have literally no idea what to do against Terran bio. Banelings aren't very cost efficient when I use them, the Terran can mindlessly drop me, kill off stuff and boost away as if nothing has happened. Seriously, no idea. Tried to play around with a couple of different things but without much hope to begin with.

3. Viper vs Mech gets my imaginary seal of approval.

4. Playing a 2v2 with Terran + Zerg vs. whatever is quite easy. Usually, your opponents won't go heavy air only, so Roach/Hydra + Medivac with 15hp per second heal upgrade is kind of sick to deal with. Tested that only once.

5. I played against a guy from Zynga (ShamWOW whom some of you may remember from the After Hour Gaming League). Got my ass handed to me. It was a 2v2, with me and some guy from Malaysia being Zerg and the opponents being Zerg and Terran.

6. I tested to play both Terran and Protoss and found it much more enjoyable than playing those two races in Wings of Liberty, I have to say. Playing around with the Oracle was fun, same thing goes to the Widow Mine.

7. It seems to be kind of bullshit that 5 Oracles just activate their Disco-Ball power and can zap an entire army of Hydralisks within seconds. Not fun.

8. Widow Mines are kind of hard to deal with, especially as a Zerg. Terrans can scan, Protoss' Observers are cloaked. Zerg's Overseer on the other hand is pretty much history if it moves too close to those things. Additionally to that, 2 of them are enough to kill about 30 Zerglings with some lucky hits and 3-4 of them can kill any number of Mutalisks due to the insane splash.

9. Kerrigan still doing her creepy starring contest.

10. Mothership's new vortex ability is useless now. You can kill one unit with it and it CAN'T be massive? If you were to kill a single unit, then normally you'd want it to be a massive one. You could of course also choose a caster, but if you use feedback there's no need for the vortex. That being said, Dustin Browder said that they want to turn the Mothership nonviable to use in serious games, because it was never intended to be used that way either. Then why put it into a game with a multiplayer component focused around laddering and all? Well, whatever.

11. The Blizzard Forums are chuck-full of idiots with amazing ideas, such as "make locusts fly and attack ground and air units!". Yeah that's totally cool.

12. Due to the Infestor being nerfed in 3 different areas, all in the same patch, they're almost unusable for me now. No infested Terran upgrades, FG as a projectile with a speed of 10 (which really is not that fast) and FG range decreased. Now if you would want to hit a flock of marines and try to aim it so they'd run into it when trying to avoid, your infestor gets killed due to the range. If you just put it onto the Marine group, they simple move backward a little and you hit maybe a total of 3-4 of them. And if the infested Terran upgrades were still enabled, people wouldn't bitch as much about 'Airtoss'.

So yeah, all in all quite a few things that they still need to iron out in my opinion, but it's definitely fun to play!

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #918 on: December 17, 2012 09:05 PM »
decided to go early aggressive in zvz and then make the nEw mUtAs!!! http://thebackalleys.com/dump/files/1/0281kB_Akilon%20Wastes%20%2826%29.SC2Replay

Offline psi43
Male
  • purple poop
  • 9,075 posts
« Reply #919 on: December 20, 2012 04:23 AM »

Here's a video of me totally owning rtil in StarCraft II: Heart Of The Swarm.

Awww yeaaaaah. I also built like 3 Swarm-Hosts that I never used. And I show that Roach-Hydra can be cool again in HotS.

Rtil on the other hand decides to build a mothertrucker-core cause it's so pretty looking (he's playing random to make it more fair lmao).

gl hf gg enjoy