Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« on: October 25, 2015 10:55 AM »
I was thinking about it recently.

Does anyone else think Pokemon was so successful/has endured so long because it's basically a synecdoche for capitalism.

I think all JRPGs are crypto-capitalist to a degree, but with Pokemon the capitalist ideology is baked right into the crust.

I mean the tagline is "Gotta catch 'em all," which is of course the objective of the game but is also a subliminal message to hoard Pokemon i.e. Pokemon merchandise i.e. material possessions.

In pretty much every JRPG you earn money through "grinding" which is pretty much wage slavery.

Just throwing that out there.

A lot of newer videogame genres I think could be interpreted as having analogy in a mode of living in a capitalist country.

Survival horror and stealth games (until MGSV) obviously simulates impoverishment, or the impoverished trying to survive in a world ruled by capitalists (See: the estate in Resident Evil 1, the police station in 2, the Ashford compound in Code: Veronica, the military industrial complex/hyperreality in MGS), while games like Silent Hill and Fatal Frame typically convey the decay of of idyllic capitalist locales (in SH's case) or the unwelcome return of old world entities (in both cases).

Games like Animal Crossing and the Sims typically illustrate the bourgeois concept of social mobility. Shooters probably fall somewhere between here and the last category.

I think that leaves most RPGs, RTS games and god simulators for the ruling class. In RPGs you typically start out as an everyman who journeys into the untamed wild to earn his/her fortune and "save the world" (see: the Rockefellers, the Vanderbilts, the Carnegies, the Hearsts, etc.) who after a few quests learn that they are "the Chosen" and then proceed to topple whatever questionably evil force was until then holding the world together (the aristocracy, the government, God, etc.). The connection other two genres is more obvious.

Party on.