StarCraft II Legacy of the Void multiplayer thread

Offline RichChap
  • 535 posts
  • Awards OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • http://belgianman.com/djkristoffer
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2015 07:03 PM »
The prologue missions i thought were pretty hard, wasn't sure if that was just because i have never touched protoss before but it took me a bunch of failed attempts before switching to normal difficulty and beating it on that :/

not really sure if i wanna play the campaign though. dont care enough about protoss and its just not that rewarding for me.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
    • http://www.thebackalleys.com
« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2015 07:15 PM »
well that is just my personal opinion, zerg is apparently OP right now but i disagree

and yes the campaign is much harder than hots and just as hard or harder than WoL. i like it. hots was way too easy to beat on brutal.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2015 07:27 PM »
not really sure if i wanna play the campaign though. dont care enough about protoss and its just not that rewarding for me.

protoss is my least favorite race but the campaign is actually fucking sick. i actually like protoss lore a lot more now that i've played it. it's well structured, the missions are fun and the upgrade customization is huge. also the writing is so much better, and there's some new characters that keep things interesting. it might be less kerrigan that's making me feel this way. i didn't really like how they wrote her story. although she is still very important in LOTV - just not around as much.

Offline RichChap
  • 535 posts
« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2015 09:16 PM »
Yeah, this is cool. I still don't like the way protoss play compared to zerg but this is actually pretty neat. Excited to be able to explore the huge protoss ship and get upgrades and stuff, I just finished the mission where that was unlocked.

I really liked the stuff with abathur and the primal zerg in the hots campaign but kerrigan is a super annoying character. Didn't really mind how easy it was personally.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #184 on: November 17, 2015 09:43 PM »
it's all about making an overpowered as fuck deathball in the campaign but it's still quite challenging and does require micro in the harder difficulties. structuring your army and the spear of adun the way you want with the calldowns too makes it more like 'your' protoss instead of the multiplayer protoss.

abathur was the best part of hots. he's getting his own voice pack soon :)

Offline cipher
  • 1,606 posts
  • Awards IRC REGULAR: this user is one of the top irc chatters!
« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2015 12:04 AM »

protoss is my least favorite race but the campaign is actually fucking sick. i actually like protoss lore a lot more now that i've played it. it's well structured, the missions are fun and the upgrade customization is huge. also the writing is so much better, and there's some new characters that keep things interesting. it might be less kerrigan that's making me feel this way. i didn't really like how they wrote her story. although she is still very important in LOTV - just not around as much.

I guess on par with the writing, what the LotV campaign has going for it is that no characters have any significant downsides. Character design has always been good in sc, but I think the protoss lore specifically sort of lends itself to this format. As a result though, no one is really breaking the mold and standing out too much. With HoTs for example, we had multiple new characters who are incredibly memorable, with Kerrigan kind of being the least interesting. WoL was more like a hybrid of the two I guess in that regard.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #186 on: November 18, 2015 12:50 AM »

I guess on par with the writing, what the LotV campaign has going for it is that no characters have any significant downsides. Character design has always been good in sc, but I think the protoss lore specifically sort of lends itself to this format. As a result though, no one is really breaking the mold and standing out too much. With HoTs for example, we had multiple new characters who are incredibly memorable, with Kerrigan kind of being the least interesting. WoL was more like a hybrid of the two I guess in that regard.

besides abathur and maybe izsha i didn't find hots characters all that memorable. most of them were nothing more than plot devices (narud). in lotv it's cool to see the various factions of protoss working together despite their clashing ideals, especially the crudely pragmatic and pessimistic Alarak accusing the good-natured idealism of Artanis as being naive, constantly accusing him of wasting time and being inefficient. plus Alarak is super snarky and tsundere and i found that hilarious.
(click to show/hide)
and Karax together in the solar core was cool, and i enjoyed listening to their conversations. i think all around it's way better than hots in terms of content, customization and writing.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015 01:00 AM by rtil »

Offline Gladius
Male
  • hot ham n cheese
  • 1,275 posts
  • This user is permanently banned
▬ஜ۩☆۩ஜ▬ ---★☆★☆★ DONALD TRUMP 2016 ★☆★☆★--- ▬ஜ۩☆۩ஜ▬

Offline RichChap
  • 535 posts
« Reply #188 on: November 19, 2015 11:14 PM »
actually really liking this campaign, some of the missions are super fun and the story and stuff is pretty good. really enjoyed the mission where i had to hold off the zerg as long as possible, and the one where i got to control kerrigan and artanis together. the progression of the story is neat but tbh i dont really think any of the characters are that interesting, especially compared to abathur, the big primal zerg dude from hots, and the infested terran guy. wanting to get to the end though so i can see what happens with the xel'naga tho.

really wanna play some of the co op missions and do more of archon and stuff with people though.

Offline cipher
  • 1,606 posts
« Reply #189 on: November 20, 2015 12:26 AM »
actually really liking this campaign, some of the missions are super fun and the story and stuff is pretty good. really enjoyed the mission where i had to hold off the zerg as long as possible, and the one where i got to control kerrigan and artanis together. the progression of the story is neat but tbh i dont really think any of the characters are that interesting, especially compared to abathur, the big primal zerg dude from hots, and the infested terran guy. wanting to get to the end though so i can see what happens with the xel'naga tho.

really wanna play some of the co op missions and do more of archon and stuff with people though.

Yeah that sort of goes along with my point about the characters. I mean I like them all, but ones previously offered (abathur, dehaka, stukov) just felt way more unique and interesting. However I do like the current ones, but there's not as much individuality (as you would expect from protoss).

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #190 on: November 20, 2015 03:39 AM »
anyone beat the mission where you're supposed to
(click to show/hide)
on hard? i've tried and failed 3 times. trying to think of the perfect unit comp. might try colo/stalker/vr next because it's the zerg swarm that always overwhelms me

Offline cipher
  • 1,606 posts
« Reply #191 on: November 21, 2015 03:06 PM »
anyone beat the mission where you're supposed to
(click to show/hide)
on hard? i've tried and failed 3 times. trying to think of the perfect unit comp. might try colo/stalker/vr next because it's the zerg swarm that always overwhelms me

Beaten it yet? Anyways, took me a few tries, but here's what I did. Initially I was trying various comps of units and things, but eventually went for the cheap strategy..

(click to show/hide)

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #192 on: November 21, 2015 03:37 PM »
i haven't tried it since that night. my mistake was
(click to show/hide)
. my units could not keep up with the sheer amount of bullshit swarming around it.

i've read a couple strategies that have worked, destiny even managed to not lose a single allied nexus on brutal, but i haven't seen the VOD yet.

Offline cipher
  • 1,606 posts
« Reply #193 on: November 21, 2015 04:48 PM »
Yeah my first few attempts I lost pretty horribly, pretty quickly. Honestly, I think I could have saved the one nexus that was lost. It's much more vulnerable than the other two, but I bet if you did the cannon wall around it as well it would be possible

Offline RichChap
  • 535 posts
« Reply #194 on: November 30, 2015 09:23 AM »
Just finished the campaign and it was really cool overall. the ending was a litttttle weak but I thought it was neat that
(click to show/hide)

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,160 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #195 on: December 1, 2015 05:06 AM »
Just finished the campaign and it was really cool overall. the ending was a litttttle weak but I thought it was neat that
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)