the last of us

Offline RichChap
  • 535 posts
  • Awards OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • http://belgianman.com/djkristoffer
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« on: July 17, 2013 07:34 AM »
i almost never play games any more, the one true exception being starcraft. one of the last other games I played though was uncharted 3 which i really enjoyed. I've always liked naughty dog's games so I thought i'd check out the last of us, and I figured with all the rave reviews its been getting it couldn't be bad.

I got the game the other day and started playing it, wow was I disappointed. This game is so far from what people are praising it as. It feels like another uncharted game, with a bunch of elements from resident evil 4, but it takes itself way too seriously. the story is trying to be all depressing but it's really nothing special and ends up just making the game feel more boring and make me want to play it less.

maybe I've just kind of outgrown games at this point since the vast majority of new games ive tried playing in the past couple of years have been really uninteresting to me, the only game I could really get excited about being the starcraft expansion.

has anyone else here tried playing this game?

Offline lasse
Male
  • 1,108 posts
  • This user is permanently banned

Reason: not funny
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013 08:42 AM »

Offline Lambdanaut
Male
  • Shuttup
  • 97 posts
    • scythesrsexy on Skype
    • lambdanaut.com
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013 12:06 PM »
She's so fucking attractive I'm gonna grill her
I make internet and game with fists

Offline ZennyPLUS
Male
  • GIMME DAH MONEY
  • 1,598 posts
  • Awards IRC REGULAR: this user is one of the top irc chatters!
    • zennyplus on Skype
    • Excetera-ZEN's Gamespot Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013 05:24 PM »
it was interesting to watch. honestly, much like the homepage video from the best gamers mentions, the game looks and feels very much like a movie. i did just that, i watch cutscenes. turns out it was a good film.

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013 03:43 AM »
You pretty much summed up 99% of my problems with 99% modern 3D shooters and 99% of American console titles these days. 99% of the AAA American games that get "rave" (payed) reviews play like over-cinematic ego trips desperate to be validated as "art" (can someone please explain why this label is so important in the west? This notion that games should be respected as art practically kickstarted (literally) the entire doujin, ahem, "indie" scene in the states, and major developers are obviously picking up on it.)

I also don't understand why realistic visuals and gameplay are so sought after. They seem so limiting to me. I want more catchy pop music and surgery visuals that make me want to eat the screen while I'm killing adorable flesh-devouring monsters. That's why I mainly stick to weeb games (not that I wouldn't anyway, because... well, you know). I recognize that that the Japanese industry has it's own problems. It can get tiring playing the same game with the same mechanics and a slightly different story over and over again (now please excuse me while I go play Atelier Ayesha and wait for my pre-order of Tales of Xillia to arrive).

I also feel that, where  the most critically acclaimed American games tend to employ one major theme that extends to all modes of gameplay, the best Japanese games tend to combine 2 or 3, which I like. This is especially true for handheld titles, which only a small minority of Americans (weebs) seem to care about, which makes me sad. Perhaps when Danganronpa gets released in the states next year, both these things will change, but they definitely won't, because only weebs will play it.

It makes me really sad that the more expensive games seem to get, the less they feel like actual games, and the more eager to be serious and afraid to be fun they become. This is especially worrying with all the hype over the Oculus Rift (how will 3rd person work in VR? Will it exclusively be designed for super-serious 1st person games?). I guess these are all age old disparities between the industries, but it makes me sad to see the west getting so much praise nowadays (deserved or not), while the east gets so much hate at the same time (probably deserved). I lay awake at night, sweating, afraid of the day that my anime games become hallway shooters. Then I remember Final Fantasy XIII and the nightmare becomes real.

I'm totally ignorant of the PC market and how many of these perceived "problems" are also true for you guys so please don't call me mean names.

This has been my first videogame rant on this website. Please rate me from Popular to Totally Popular Unlimited Forever Season 2.

Offline W.A.C.
Male
  • 2,202 posts
  • Awards OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • http://wac01.deviantart.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013 06:40 PM »
I finally got around to playing this game late last month. While I appreciate the Jak & Daxter and Uncharted franchises, I always viewed them as very fun but overrated games. I can't say the same for The Last of Us but for reasons that differ from what the OP wrote. I think it's one of the best games I've ever played. Its storytelling in the game industry is second to none and I found the gameplay extremely fun. The only aspect of the gameplay I hated was the wobbly aiming, but you can get rid of the issue with pill upgrades. Would've been nice if the wobbly aiming was never included at all or if the wobbliness wasn't so frustrating in early parts of the game since the first pill upgrade made it nowhere near as bad. While I've barely touched the multiplayer because I find the single player campaign and New Game+ so much fun, the little I played of it was very enjoyable and I can see myself getting very into it in the future.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013 06:47 PM by W.A.C. »