resource-united
thebackalleys
pizza and memes
You are not logged in.
( Login | Register )

does fear lead to rewards in your life? are you more/less afraid now?

Offline Jon
Male
  • honk
  • 343 posts
  • Awards IRC REGULAR: this user is one of the top irc chatters!
    • rdotelm on Skype
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« on: July 4, 2017 01:44 PM »
do you feel like you're less afraid of things alot of the time, now that youre older

or do you just have a different set of fears. what fears did you upgrade to/from

do you feel like things get even more fear-inducing for you. do you feel like conquering those fears are way more satisfying b/cuz of it

are your fears healthy or do you resent em

were the fear video games ever any good

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,329 posts
« Reply #1 on: July 4, 2017 08:15 PM »
No the Fear games suck.

Offline stusader
  • 1,285 posts
« Reply #2 on: July 5, 2017 03:00 AM »
i didn't like the fear games

i'm mostly afraid of not making the most of life and dying with regrets
i think it probably gets unhealthy because that fear can be so strong that it's paralyzing

fear is good if it's like stress about complacency from my perspective
as long as it doesn't get neurotic i guess

Offline cipher
  • 1,618 posts
« Reply #3 on: July 5, 2017 11:24 AM »
I think it's pretty normal to have your fears get more intricate and deep so to speak as you get older. Like you, as you begin to understand the world, your fears (as well as aspirations, etc) are naturally going to change and grow more complex.

As long as one's fears are reasonable, having some is definitely healthy. It's just part of being human. Doesn't really matter if it's a more physical fear (death, etc), or more psychological (regret, being forgotten, etc). Key word here is "reasonable" though.

And you know, fear leads to anger, anger leads to....

Offline soup
Male
  • [ R I S E ]
  • 1,460 posts
    • keeeeeir on Skype
« Reply #4 on: July 5, 2017 02:06 PM »
havent been genuinely scared by anything in a long while in terms of media. im talking like good dread inducing horror not fuckin jumpscares. thats not being scared thats being startled by LOUD NOISE

when i was younger the only driving force behind my artwork was a deep fear of not being technically good at drawing. so yeh it certainly helped me get better

"He was shown the smallness and tinsel emptiness of the little Earth gods, with their petty, human interests and connections - their hatreds, rages, loves and vanities; their craving for praise and sacrifice and their demands for faiths contrary to reason and nature."

"...it stimulates the part of the brain called "shatners-bassoon", and that's the bit of the brain that deals with...time perception..."

Offline Jon
Male
  • honk
  • 343 posts
    • rdotelm on Skype
« Reply #5 on: July 5, 2017 08:40 PM »
i think procrastination is the main source of all the fears.

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,329 posts
« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2017 04:42 AM »
When I was a kid I was really anxious about human extinction but five years in the workforce changed my mind.

Offline soup
Male
  • [ R I S E ]
  • 1,460 posts
    • keeeeeir on Skype
« Reply #7 on: July 6, 2017 05:19 PM »
anyone wanna stream a scary film and we can all turn up and be not scared together
"He was shown the smallness and tinsel emptiness of the little Earth gods, with their petty, human interests and connections - their hatreds, rages, loves and vanities; their craving for praise and sacrifice and their demands for faiths contrary to reason and nature."

"...it stimulates the part of the brain called "shatners-bassoon", and that's the bit of the brain that deals with...time perception..."

Offline mealguien
Female
  • KyoSaya OTP
  • 112 posts
« Reply #8 on: July 6, 2017 08:49 PM »

this song is rlly spooky aaah

Offline Unless
Female
  • *despondent gay sounds*
  • 497 posts
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017 04:26 PM »
I thought FEAR 1, FEAR 1.5, FEAR 1.5 2 and FEAR 2 were okay.

I've typically resented my fears and definitely have fewer now that I done got oldered. Conquering them only feels good when they're legitimate and rational fears such as travelling at too high speeds or being at very high heights, but I think that's more that they're exhilarating as activities.
Don't hang around. I'm losing my head.
I'm going to town and I'm painting it red.

Offline Philip K Dick
Male
  • 5,419 posts
  • Awards OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09 PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy!
    • mastahlg on Skype
    • http://soundcloud.com/armonpakdel
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017 12:15 AM »
i wish i could watch horror movies and feel afraid, i can't seem to break that level of immersion anymore

Offline SrsSam77
Male
  • Greater Aniki
  • 1,416 posts
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017 10:58 AM »
I believe fear and life experience do.
After a trainwreck of things happening to a couple people around me, I started to become rather concerned about two things: my health, and my drive to do things to ensure I live a satisfactory lifestyle

As for health, where most people complain if they have to leave oreos out of their eating schedule for a day, I feel like I'm rushing down a path being chased by a horrible monster, and thusly eating keto, doing intermittent fasting spiced with some 2 and 3 day fasts, and getting copious amounts of exercise are no problem for me. While I find it pleasant that I am in such good shape, I would rather have made these changes without a hot knife of fear going into my back so I can relax and enjoy these positive changes.

As for leading a satsifactory life: Since I'm out of college now, starting to become a professional, and also becoming more adept at communicating and connecting with people, I see a lot of helplessness and a general sense of being lost in the people I'm around and the friends I used to hang out with. It's not uncommon for a couple friends of mine to wake up, smonk dank woad, and play video games all day and collect unemployment checks at the ripe old age of 24. Seeing a complete waste of potential, realizing that my window to exercise my own potential is starting to narrow, and that I have to choose a self sacrifice and follow only one path in life while starting my middle third of life weigh down on me in a somber yet partially uplifting sort of way. I've become great at kicking my ADHD when it comes to doing work and tasks, and self disciplining myself into exercise or reading, but I still vastly lack in other ways that are only just now starting to improve. For years I've said that if I could have but one thing, it would be the discipline to sit down, and just draw; without fear, without getting distracted. At the moment, aside from paying off the leftovers of my student loans, this is my one grand objective. I've come far in certan ways, but hope you all wish me luck in doing this.

keep it real and skip breakfast people

Offline ExBerian
Male
  • 540 posts
    • Jawsworth1 on Skype
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017 11:56 AM »
When I was a kid I was really anxious about human extinction but five years in the workforce changed my mind.
I had the same thing happen to me. Oblivion used to scare me but then I realized that if it happens it happens.

Basically all my fears are gone from childhood and the new fears are more just common anxiety. Like saying the wrong thing to someone who misheard you and starts freaking out over what they THOUGHT you said instead of what you actually said, and you are unable to explain it to them.

Offline Jon
Male
  • honk
  • 343 posts
    • rdotelm on Skype
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017 11:45 AM »
pretty much what sam said. fear is pretty much my greatest weapon now. you're afraid or anxious about something, do whatever you can to curb or conquer it- now.

Offline Mistarooni
Male
  • :^)
  • 511 posts
  • Awards OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • Mistarooni on Skype
    • twitter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017 10:56 PM »
man it depends tbh
like, when it comes to the well being of my friends + family I worry constantly