Started by lenko, February 17, 2012 10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

|

rtil

Quote from: Bamyasi on March 28, 2014 01:16 AM
Quote from: Stu4U on March 28, 2014 12:04 AM
more like too much hyper realism.
Have we reached peak hyperrealism?
i don't think it's possible with something like this because we know they don't exist in our world. that and they suffer from the same problem most 3d cgi models do in that they move like living wax figurines.

i honestly don't know if we'll ever be able to cross over the uncanny valley in motion pictures. still images have come close from time to time, but i don't think you can ever fool everyone.

Stu4U

Quote from: rtil on March 28, 2014 02:07 AM
Quote from: Bamyasi on March 28, 2014 01:16 AM
Quote from: Stu4U on March 28, 2014 12:04 AM
more like too much hyper realism.
Have we reached peak hyperrealism?
i don't think it's possible with something like this because we know they don't exist in our world. that and they suffer from the same problem most 3d cgi models do in that they move like living wax figurines.

i honestly don't know if we'll ever be able to cross over the uncanny valley in motion pictures. still images have come close from time to time, but i don't think you can ever fool everyone.
i hope we will one day. yea there are still plenty of movies out there that don't do a very good job making their props look like they weren't cpu generated, but cgi films have only been around since the 80's, which is not that long on a big scale.

rtil

personally i don't see the point in crossing the uncanny valley for human characters. if you want to have realistic and entirely convincing human actors in your film, use real, living humans. doing anything otherwise is contrived. cg animation should be reserved for the imagination, not recreating what we already know exists.

dilly

<@reptilicus> am I in backwards land?
<@reptilicus> if i go to the toilet will poop go up into my rectum

naturally

the most off-putting thing about that image to me is the bump in the bed like is that supposed to be his foot or what i don't

Binary_2

How lil' sanic was made

Kött

wow... nice find!
:3

JasonDog

Quote from: rtil on March 28, 2014 02:50 AM
personally i don't see the point in crossing the uncanny valley for human characters. if you want to have realistic and entirely convincing human actors in your film, use real, living humans. doing anything otherwise is contrived. cg animation should be reserved for the imagination, not recreating what we already know exists.

What about recreating people that no longer exist?
Audrey Hepburn: Galaxy Chocolate Commercial

rtil

Quote from: JasonDog on March 29, 2014 12:52 PM
Quote from: rtil on March 28, 2014 02:50 AM

What about recreating people that no longer exist?
Audrey Hepburn: Galaxy Chocolate Commercial

while the ad is kind of charming, ultimately it's a pointless endeavor with a hint of creepiness. also, she is not entirely cg. they had to find an actress with similar facial features, and then did some overlaying work on her face to more accurately match Audrey. it's more akin to a digital plastic surgery job than a complete recreation, so it doesn't count.

Bamyasi

soup

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26890910

"For a president long criticised for seeing things only in black and white, the exhibition of George W Bush's art at his presidential library in Dallas comes as something of a revelation.

Delicate brushwork has replaced his famed swagger. He presents himself as a wholly different kind of Texas oilman. With each new brushstroke he seems also to be softening his public image."

"He was shown the smallness and tinsel emptiness of the little Earth gods, with their petty, human interests and connections - their hatreds, rages, loves and vanities; their craving for praise and sacrifice and their demands for faiths contrary to reason and nature."

"...it stimulates the part of the brain called "shatners-bassoon", and that's the bit of the brain that deals with...time perception..."

rtil

i'd love to see that joke of a gallery displayed in public anywhere outside of the south

Flash

I think this is the only bbc news article I've ever read where they actually judge someone's art, aside from that piece about the old Spanish lady who completely fucked up a fresco trying to restore it.
How come this gets a negative reception:

... coming from a fucking octogenarian lady,
and this gets a positive reception:

... coming from a former president who's hated by anyone with common sense?

You may argue that Bush at least hasn't destroyed any awesome old frescos but he has de facto destroyed the reputations of at least two people quoted in that article, and the relevance of its writer

rtil

JasonDog

Quote from: Flash on April  6, 2014 02:48 PM
I think this is the only bbc news article I've ever read where they actually judge someone's art, aside from that piece about the old Spanish lady who completely fucked up a fresco trying to restore it.

I thought the Fresco story was hilarious. She kept saying it wasn't finished and tried to get back in to 'finish it'.

Kött

Quote from: rtil on April 13, 2014 11:51 PM
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/319256879/fattitude-a-body-positive-documentary

Idunno... they do have some very good points about the portrayal of fat people by the media... then again, this is America we're talking about. They should rather collect the money for a documentary on how to keep a balanced and healthy diet or how to find a fun sport instead of glorifying fatness. I honestly hope this never makes it into any educational institution.
:3

Stu4U

rtil

she was a goldmine today

soup

zombie apocalypse occurs

he trips on his fedora/hubris and dies 

"He was shown the smallness and tinsel emptiness of the little Earth gods, with their petty, human interests and connections - their hatreds, rages, loves and vanities; their craving for praise and sacrifice and their demands for faiths contrary to reason and nature."

"...it stimulates the part of the brain called "shatners-bassoon", and that's the bit of the brain that deals with...time perception..."

|