Offline soup
Male
  • [ R I S E ]
  • 1,480 posts
    • keeeeeir on Skype
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016 07:24 PM »
yeh everything is subjective. what makes for a financial success can still be a disappointment to the majority of the population. vice versa im sure there are objectively "good" shows out there that bomb hard when its left to the public to decide the rating. i cant take this guy seriously considering he seems to be saying so little with so many words. a lot of what he says is common sense and not even worth mentioning / far too specific and not really applicable to anything except the scene/show he is reviewing

i think if he had instead presented typical techniques that regularly feature in an objectively "good" story instead of analyzing one very specific plot and and picking them out as they come up he wouldnt come across as grating / a weeb

maybe he does this later. i cant watch anymore.

im studying a lot of the science behind why people do and do not enjoy different forms of media. the subtle and not so subtle ways media is used to manipulate your emotions. otherwise i wouldnt get involved in this

tl;dr after 19 mins of his "advice" all i can hear is nasal white noise
"He was shown the smallness and tinsel emptiness of the little Earth gods, with their petty, human interests and connections - their hatreds, rages, loves and vanities; their craving for praise and sacrifice and their demands for faiths contrary to reason and nature."

"...it stimulates the part of the brain called "shatners-bassoon", and that's the bit of the brain that deals with...time perception..."

Offline soup
Male
  • [ R I S E ]
  • 1,480 posts
    • keeeeeir on Skype
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016 07:26 PM »
ill probably watch the other 60 mins at a later date and update my review of his review
"He was shown the smallness and tinsel emptiness of the little Earth gods, with their petty, human interests and connections - their hatreds, rages, loves and vanities; their craving for praise and sacrifice and their demands for faiths contrary to reason and nature."

"...it stimulates the part of the brain called "shatners-bassoon", and that's the bit of the brain that deals with...time perception..."

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016 08:20 PM »
He's really just advocating for more active anime consumption and keeping an open mind, that's all. Of course qualitative indicators will vary from person to person, but between only trying shows one thinks one might enjoy vs. lots of different shows regardless of genre or studio, I agree with Digi that the latter generally yields better results. As for his video length, the ones in which he's just staring into the camera I would never actually watch, they're more like podcasts. My tastes are often very much at odds with his and he's prone to hyperbole so everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt, but I'm still subscribed to him as he's one of the less insufferable prolific weaboo bloggers on youtube.

admittedly on my mal the "dropped" category is more just "fuck this"

whereas "hold" is more for "kinda gave up, might try again"
On point to how I feel about it.
The problem with this is that you're treating your dropped list as a Permanent Anime Hell where anime go to die. Your tastes may change, but you might be hesitant to retry something that is carved in stone as having left a negative impression on you when they were less refined. Just my two cents. Basically you're wrong.

Also now that you've rated stuff here's a handy video on how to properly rate stuff:

Offline SrsSam77
Male
  • Greater Aniki
  • 1,428 posts
  • Awards IRC REGULAR: this user is one of the top irc chatters!
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016 10:52 PM »
>consuming anime
>at all
>not manga or books

I bet you people own figures and dakis too

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,167 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
    • http://www.thebackalleys.com
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016 11:40 PM »
Also now that you've rated stuff here's a handy video on how to properly rate stuff:
this video should be called "No One Rates ERASED Right" goddamn this guy is triggered

MAL users hand out 10's like candy so he's not wrong but seriously why does anyone give a shit what this greasy weeb thinks? at the end of the day he's just another pretentious MAL user. what the fuck has this guy created besides lengthy diatribes about anime he hates?
>consuming anime
>at all
>not manga or books

I bet you people own figures and dakis too

anime is manga's final form :^)

Offline BluPhoenix
Male
  • rich evans laugh echoes throughout ye banquet hall
  • 3,894 posts
    • bluphoenix7 on Skype
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2016 08:16 AM »
admittedly on my mal the "dropped" category is more just "fuck this"

whereas "hold" is more for "kinda gave up, might try again"
On point to how I feel about it.
The problem with this is that you're treating your dropped list as a Permanent Anime Hell where anime go to die. Your tastes may change, but you might be hesitant to retry something that is carved in stone as having left a negative impression on you when they were less refined. Just my two cents. Basically you're wrong.

see the problem with that is even if a show i didn't like was lumped in with other shows i merely lost interest in, i'm liable to still remember watching said show and not liking it

there are shows i don't like that i'll end up finishing

if for no other reason than what just feels like an obligation

but if for some reason something tries my patience to where i don't want it to waste my time anymore, then why even bother putting them in the same pool as shows i felt deserved better than what i gave them? what's going to make me come back to a series like that regardless of whichever pool i drop it in?
[12:59 AM] elm: yea honestly if you dont want to cum on elmer fudds bald head whats wrong with you
4:08 PM - ExBerian: can you draw me a nina williams being (fucked)
[07:49.46] <+slack> cum erupts from the dick at an alarming rate
[07:49.59] <+slack> it will blast off and slap the wall at like 40 mph

[1:17 AM] Darreus: iF ONLY I could Geind my ass on ym balls that'd be pretty cool but im too busy contemplating being a girl at 1 in the morning

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2016 08:39 PM »
I dunno look at what OP said about Michiko to Hatchin for example.

MAL users hand out 10's like candy so he's not wrong but seriously why does anyone give a shit what this greasy weeb thinks? at the end of the day he's just another pretentious MAL user. what the fuck has this guy created besides lengthy diatribes about anime he hates?
Lengthy appraisals about anime he likes I guess. I think he's an okay critic. Not everyone who enjoys art is blessed with creative blood, or at least the drive to create what they envision, hence criticism.

Have a scene from a bad movie:

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,167 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2016 12:46 AM »
i guess i just don't see anything in him because literally anyone can be a critic. at least he acknowledges that taste is subjective and he doesn't scream into the mic.

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2016 08:01 AM »
Of course anyone can be a critic, but some people are better at it than others, just like art and other things of actual value. I mean there's a reason the Plinkett reviews are always more entertaining than the actual movies and why most of us prefer them over Nostalgia Critic or whoever.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,167 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2016 02:32 PM »
yes but critics like RLM are better at being critics because they actually understand filmmaking from the perspective of filmmakers. any jackass can splice up some footage of something and talk about why they think it's total shit or the best thing ever, and they might be more convincing than others through oration, but do they actually know what the fuck they are talking about? there are certainly identifiers non-creators can use to determine whether something is good or bad, but there's only so much you can know just from observation and study alone - in the same way that all the knowledge about film in the world doesn't guarantee you could make a good movie. application is what develops the "artist's eye".

Offline mealguien
Female
  • KyoSaya OTP
  • 114 posts
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2016 07:50 PM »
TBA: we'll use your intro thread to discuss anime.

tho i agree with rtil
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016 07:52 PM by mealguien »

Offline TikoTron
  • 43 posts
    • AcidTik18 on Skype
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2016 07:58 PM »
TBA: we'll use your intro thread to discuss anime.

tho i agree with rtil
Ikr lmao

What did I start?
❤ ❤ ❤ Waifu Locker Wall ❤ ❤ ❤

MyAnimeList - - - Instagram - - - Twitter - - - Tumblr

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,167 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2016 08:11 PM »
this thread is hijacked by the kawaii police

you got a problem with that?

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2016 08:33 PM »
Thanks as always for the contribution meal.

yes but critics like RLM are better at being critics because they actually understand filmmaking from the perspective of filmmakers. any jackass can splice up some footage of something and talk about why they think it's total shit or the best thing ever, and they might be more convincing than others through oration, but do they actually know what the fuck they are talking about? there are certainly identifiers non-creators can use to determine whether something is good or bad, but there's only so much you can know just from observation and study alone - in the same way that all the knowledge about film in the world doesn't guarantee you could make a good movie. application is what develops the "artist's eye".
Well I guess we differ in that I think all one needs is an understanding of, and appreciation for, storytelling in order to critique a storytelling medium, which most anime is, typically emphasizing that aspect over animation for animation's sake. Most of the criticism I remember from the Plinkett reviews was directed at the SW prequel's writing.

Sure you need to have practiced painting in order to really give applicable criticism to another painter, likewise with poetry, music, video game programming and animation, but the great thing about storytelling is that you don't have to be seasoned at spinning yarns to know what you like and why, because everyone is hardwired for fiction.

The axiom "taste is subjective" I don't take to mean "shut up the masters are at work." Typically with criticism the cream floats to the top, unless its English anime reviews, in which case its 95% shit with the remaining 5% being slightly less shit, which is the category I'd put Digi in with a select few others. If you said he probably gets too much money for doing it, yeah I'd agree with you, but I don't think his brand of criticism is entirely useless even if its not very academic.

The biggest problem with criticism circa current year 2016 I'd say isn't pretentious basement dwellers talking about anime, but aggregate sites a la RottenTomatoes and Metacritic giving people choice-supportive and confirmation biases. Movies are in a really bad way and those sites aren't helping.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,167 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2016 08:49 PM »
i never said anything about people not being entitled to their opinions. by all means people have every right to be a critic regardless of whether or not they're any good at it. it's not like you have to get a certification to make a youtube video or start a blog. but storytelling as a visual medium has more layers than just the script. yes, if the script is bad, there's not much you can do to change that - but bad animation direction can also ruin a good script. and your actors are your drawings, so all the burdens of a filmmaker are even more pressing for an animated series, because you can only rely on the artist's skill to portray good acting instead of being able to hire and direct someone else to do it.

my point was simply that you can only understand and appreciate something so much without never having  gone through the creative process of what it truly means to create it. like, you know what food tastes good to you, and you can appreciate and understand the work that goes into making it, but can you really be so bold to say you understand that on the same level as the chef?

so, to me, guy-on-the-internet who makes youtube videos and watches anime for a living's words have less weight than an accomplished animator/screenwriter/director etc.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016 08:52 PM by rtil »

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2016 09:13 PM »
Well then I completely agree with you. I wish more accomplished animators, screenwriters and directors dabbled in written criticism of their media for mass market consumption, although it would most likely appear uncouth, and so alas, must occur behind closed doors, between real artists (or on twitter between celebrities, or on tracks between rappers). Unfortunately the next best thing we have are people who listen to music or watch movies or masturbate to anime for a living.

It's inarguable that this doesn't necessarily translate to success in said medium. I mean look at Ebert:

vs. the French New Wave guys who all started out as critics and then made Cowboy Bebop and Blade Runner:

Offline ExBerian
Male
  • 473 posts
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2016 09:13 PM »
Hello there!

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2016 09:43 PM »
Yes welcome.

The committee approves your new signature.

Offline mealguien
Female
  • KyoSaya OTP
  • 114 posts
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2016 09:44 PM »
The biggest problem with criticism circa current year 2016 I'd say isn't pretentious basement dwellers talking about anime, but aggregate sites a la RottenTomatoes and Metacritic giving people choice-supportive and confirmation biases. Movies are in a really bad way and those sites aren't helping.
I actually completely agree with this. It's especially bad when it comes to movies from franchises that have a huge contemporary following (DC and Marvel, for example) when people seem to kind of mindlessly agree with the overall opinion without really trying to understand for themselves what makes them work or not. And also because I feel that you might not be exposed to a lot of things you might enjoy when you just go along with what the peoples say they liked.

Also apologies if my post came across as too "jokey" during the convo. I just felt it was kinda weird that you guys were going into such a level of discussion about anime criticism on somebody's intro thread.

Offline Bamyasi
Male
  • RIP TBA BBS
  • 3,381 posts
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2016 10:12 PM »
Exactly, and in my opinion any somewhat thoughtful consumption of media, even Digi's arguably hackneyed brand of analysis, is a means of combating this complacency, and so a net good.

And what better way to welcome someone to TBA.