pizza and art
You are not logged in.
( Login | Register )

Serious art thrØd

Offline SrsSam77
Male
  • Greater Aniki
  • 1,307 posts
  • Awards IRC REGULAR: this user is one of the top irc chatters!
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« on: April 19, 2014 08:07 PM »

These threads work kinda like sketchbook threads right?
also, please tear me a new one so I can learn, gomen.

updates on saturdays

Offline Flash
Male
  • holy hotsauce! you've grown an extra millimeter!
  • 1,793 posts
  • Awards IRC REGULAR: this user is one of the top irc chatters! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014 08:24 PM »
I don't know much about art, but I can say this:
you picked an interesting shot, and took some risks, which is cool. but you should keep practicing that - I mostly like the man in the background's shape, but it seems a bit rigid, like you were referencing a model too heavily.

the background seems way too rushed, although it does convey depth and that they're in a cave bein' all moody next to the entrance.

what mostly bothers me about this picture is the man in the foreground's face. the shape of his head, his nose, and the position of his ear seem way off. his chest region also looks weirdly puffy.

please keep posting though, we want to see more sketches - and don't hesitate to show finished artwork! sometimes these threads are like sketchbooks, sometimes they're like "hey guys here's the thing I've recently put on my portfolio".

Offline soup
Male
  • [ R I S E ]
  • 1,389 posts
    • keeeeeir on Skype
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014 08:27 PM »
sketches should hope to convey an image or idea in a concise and understandable fashion

theres a lot of unnecessary lines there that dont really lend themselves to anything. instead of adding to the image they take away by just looking scribbly

this image makes me think you do life drawing work, WHICH IS GREAT DO THAT AND POST IT!!!!!!
"He was shown the smallness and tinsel emptiness of the little Earth gods, with their petty, human interests and connections - their hatreds, rages, loves and vanities; their craving for praise and sacrifice and their demands for faiths contrary to reason and nature."

"...it stimulates the part of the brain called "shatners-bassoon", and that's the bit of the brain that deals with...time perception..."

Offline SrsSam77
Male
  • Greater Aniki
  • 1,307 posts
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014 09:09 PM »
Thanks for those critiques so far, this was all from imagination with no reference save the tree bark and was supposed to be a person standing on a tree branch in a forest, with a 20m giant in the background, but with what flash said, it looks like I have a lot to learn about composition.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,088 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
    • http://www.thebackalleys.com
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014 09:12 PM »
i would echo what i've read so far but my main concern is that your anatomy and construction is feeling a little flat. i know that you've told me on irc you've been looking into a lot of anatomy and drawing books and that is great. the more information you can feed your brain about it and apply it the better you'll be able to improve. it will take a long time but eventually your hand will start to memorize the way every stroke should go. there are also lots of great references on these two tumblrs: http://learninganatomy.tumblr.com/archive http://fucktonofanatomyreferencesreborn.tumblr.com/archive which you can use for reference, and if you'd like to practice life drawing there are a ton of great nude figures on deviantart as well as this ife drawing practice session app i may have already linked you.

the human body is a very challenging subject so it's also ok to focus on one piece of it at a time . liked doing many studies on just heads, faces, or hands. etc

Offline SrsSam77
Male
  • Greater Aniki
  • 1,307 posts
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014 01:40 AM »

I went full hatch...

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,088 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014 01:45 AM »
yes you did. that was very naughty of you

when hatching, try to keep all the lines moving in the same direction, and at an angle where they compliment the geometry of what they're on. you want to use hatching not just to shade, but to imply volume as well

Offline soup
Male
  • [ R I S E ]
  • 1,389 posts
    • keeeeeir on Skype
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014 01:48 AM »

using hatching to imply movement can be pretty good too, but yeh again i think its a case of unnecessary lines here just distracting from things

nice eyes tho
"He was shown the smallness and tinsel emptiness of the little Earth gods, with their petty, human interests and connections - their hatreds, rages, loves and vanities; their craving for praise and sacrifice and their demands for faiths contrary to reason and nature."

"...it stimulates the part of the brain called "shatners-bassoon", and that's the bit of the brain that deals with...time perception..."

Offline SrsSam77
Male
  • Greater Aniki
  • 1,307 posts
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014 01:49 AM »
so they need to flow and accentuate? yes sensei *bow*

Offline zwimmy
Female
  • The original zwimmeme
  • 1,648 posts
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014 01:57 AM »
Look up reference for crosshatching if it's a style you'd like to explore some more. A good understanding of light and shadow is needed to figure out where you want to build up the darker areas with more concentrated strokes.

For now I think you should focus mainly on your anatomy before giving your drawings too much "flair".

Offline SrsSam77
Male
  • Greater Aniki
  • 1,307 posts
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014 09:26 PM »
ALRIGHT MOTHAFUCKAS, ITS THE ONE YEAR DRAWERVERSARY.
*required listening for this post *
so one year ago, Im watching feeling kinda bored, feeling kinda useless, when I decide fuck it, I'm going to draw everyday until I get good, Because I knew I had the power to draw kawaii ass bitches, and it couldn't be that bad right?
Here's my first night's work

At first shit sucked because I had no direction, and I spent a lot of time copying snippets of stylized drawings, then I found ctrlpaint and proko, which I promptly decided to ignore, and continued to draw kawaii ass eyes.
In about January I really buckled down and started to do figure drawing and drawing from still frames, throw in a lot of gesture and loomis and here I am today.

And here's hoping to many more drawerversarys, maybe Ill draw  potato licking sasha next time haha.
thanks to rtil for dat dere drawing motivation and the pic suggestion.

Still wish I could find new hope by magic sword on youtube tho...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014 09:49 PM by SrsSam77 »

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,088 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014 11:18 PM »
rofl mikasa looks terrifying. happy drawversary

Offline lasse
Male
  • 1,109 posts
  • This user is permanently banned

Reason: not funny
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014 12:40 PM »
  mlhao

Offline SrsSam77
Male
  • Greater Aniki
  • 1,307 posts
« Reply #13 on: May 4, 2014 01:22 PM »

I did, I tried a thing and I did the deed.

Offline Holsterbau
Male
  • Really good
  • 56 posts
    • holsterbau on Skype
    • tumblr
« Reply #14 on: May 6, 2014 10:56 AM »
I really like the fact that you are deviating from the common pattern. A lot of your ideas and compositions are highly dynamic, which is something I price much more over actual execution. The execution value is certainly not the best, but you are slowly heading in the right direction (and there are a bunch of people that can help you in case you deviate too much). What I can see is that you draw rather quickly, which is not a bad thing at all, as working too much on the same thing gets you nowhere good. However, in this case, I am afraid that this might be a bit too quickly. Too hastily done.

I mean, you definitely could fill out the void with a more fulfilling amount of darkness than just a few light strokes of the pencil. Though I believe white void wouldn't work that badly either. In either case, the immense light reflected from a planet causes the rest of the universe to go completely dim, where not a single star can be seen, so in either case you get a pitch-black void. As for the shadow on the planet, it needs to be uniform. A transition from the light side to the dark sides rarely takes more than five kilometres, obviously depending on how large the celestial body is, but that really is of zero significance if viewed from afar.

Also, don't take this the wrong way at all, but I am not entirely sure what the object in the lower right is supposed to represent: some kind of station or a ship cockpit that reflects the surroundings? There seems to be vague detail in all this and makes identifying items hard. You just need to do more decisive strokes and plan beforehand what you want to do, naturally using rough sketches and perhaps even take a sheet of paper to make a draft to make sure it will look good before wasting your eraser rubber on removing something that didn't look good to begin with. The hardest part of designing anything for any scenery is making up some architecture. For any starting artists and designers, they will use references from all over the Internet to get themselves an idea of what exactly they want to do - because it's hard to imagine some 'typical science-fiction catwalks' (just as an example) if you've never done them. However, as you do something more and more, you will be less and less dependent on outside references and your mind will start imagining things it never has done before. Sometimes maybe really elaborate things will reveal themselves to you in your daydreams, and in some cases even dreams.

Just keep doing what you do.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2014 10:58 AM by Holsterbau »
It's really good

Offline SrsSam77
Male
  • Greater Aniki
  • 1,307 posts
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014 01:57 AM »

gotta make them shading gains.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,088 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014 02:36 AM »
i think using that single tone to shade instead of hatching will be good for you for the time being. it will force you to think in shapes and dark and light.

Offline Holsterbau
Male
  • Really good
  • 56 posts
    • holsterbau on Skype
    • tumblr
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014 03:23 AM »
That's an awful lot of improvement.
It's really good

Offline SrsSam77
Male
  • Greater Aniki
  • 1,307 posts
« Reply #18 on: June 1, 2014 11:41 AM »
Here's some stuff from last night that was not as shit as the other stuff I've been doing for the past weeks:
gestures from imagination

All art dedicated to skack.

Offline crackers
Male
  • i cant stand ya, george
  • 1,226 posts
« Reply #19 on: June 1, 2014 12:06 PM »
its decent i guess