• Likes Given: 0
« on: October 15, 2014 02:39 PM »
Just gonna dump my drawings/WIPs of anything I might be working on
[edit] Oh god its huge....

Offline bd648
Male
  • Resident Android
  • 1,239 posts
  • Awards IRC REGULAR: this user is one of the top irc chatters!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014 02:50 PM »
gud art. do more.
FRACTALS ARE NOT ART! IT'S MATH!
┌|°з°|┘└|°ε°|┐┌|°з°|┘└|°ε°|┐ Cheers!

Offline tyvb
Male
  • Never Give Up!
  • 33 posts
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014 03:07 PM »
gud art. do more.

Thank you! Any critiques?  I'm open to constructive criticism.

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,195 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
    • http://www.thebackalleys.com
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014 04:11 PM »
i like where you're going with it. i think it could be taken to another level of polish, i don't know if you were planning on it. for example i'd like to see some colorization of the lineart which is currently all black - if you have it on its own layer, i'd lock the layer and paint the lineart to match the colors surrounding it. i also think that the green blobby thing she's on would reflect some color on to her, so it would be cool to see a little bit of that reflection bleed in to those colors.

besides some little nitpicky things overall i think it's a pretty good piece. i like the pose and the style. i'd like to see more of your work

Offline tyvb
Male
  • Never Give Up!
  • 33 posts
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014 06:38 PM »
i like where you're going with it. i think it could be taken to another level of polish, i don't know if you were planning on it. for example i'd like to see some colorization of the lineart which is currently all black - if you have it on its own layer, i'd lock the layer and paint the lineart to match the colors surrounding it. i also think that the green blobby thing she's on would reflect some color on to her, so it would be cool to see a little bit of that reflection bleed in to those colors.

besides some little nitpicky things overall i think it's a pretty good piece. i like the pose and the style. i'd like to see more of your work

I should have mentioned that I'm still working on this and planning on Myrrah and the bauble (green blobby thing) in a dungeon of some kind, but i haven't quite figured out the theme yet.  I really love the idea of the color reflecting off of her, but I was wanting to put something  inside of the bauble.  I think maybe I could use it as the central lighting for the area once I sketch out the background.  I'll color over the line art once I clean it up first. 

I love the feedback and I hope to hear more soon! :D

Offline michaell
Male
  • I'm a huuuge weeaboo. I like video games, anime, m
  • 529 posts
  • This user is permanently banned
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014 03:08 AM »
look good i thought it was a doodle tho cuz its still scrappy but itd be neat to see the finished version

is this a char of yours

or is it just a generic girl

Offline tyvb
Male
  • Never Give Up!
  • 33 posts
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014 04:01 PM »
look good i thought it was a doodle tho cuz its still scrappy but itd be neat to see the finished version

is this a char of yours

She's a character of mine.  Her name is Myrrah of the Eth'wei continent on this world I'm trying  to build.  Its just taking too long because I'm not around creative people where I'm at    -_-
I'm also using her to study my female anatomy.  After that I'll use Atellus for my male figure.

Offline michaell
Male
  • 529 posts
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014 04:24 PM »

is this a char of yours

She's a character of mine.  Her name is Myrrah of the Eth'wei continent on this world I'm trying  to build.  Its just taking too long because I'm not around creative people where I'm at    -_-
I'm also using her to study my female anatomy.  After that I'll use Atellus for my male figure.

i dont know im studying economics and im surrounded by very odd people who solve integrals on the back of their notebooks for FUN which would be the opposite of artistic endeavor but i guess the lack of anyone creative or even appreciating art around me made me want to make somethin unique even more

Offline tyvb
Male
  • Never Give Up!
  • 33 posts
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014 04:33 PM »

is this a char of yours

i dont know im studying economics and im surrounded by very odd people who solve integrals on the back of their notebooks for FUN which would be the opposite of artistic endeavor but i guess the lack of anyone creative or even appreciating art around me made me want to make somethin unique even more

My problems ran quite deep and I lost the drive to do a lot.  Growing up with the mantra of "Stay away from art, it'll never do you any good" it destroyed my will to create.  Only recently (with the help of my friends and adopted family) have I been able to come out of my shell and do what makes me happy.  I want to make more friends that encourage me to draw, but aren't afraid to criticize what I put out there.

Offline michaell
Male
  • 529 posts
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014 05:51 PM »
that sounds really odd

your parents must have been extremely authoritarian people if they applied coercive measures like this on you

why would they even discourage art though?

were they some sort of insane 'pragmatists'?

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,195 posts
  • Awards IRCOP: this user is a moderator on the irc! PIZZABABY SUPPORTER: this member donated to zhi's pizzababy! OLD SCHOOL: registered before '09
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014 06:30 PM »
@michaell it's pretty common for parents to discourage their children from pursuing careers that have a reputation for being impractical as financially stable prospects - truth behind it be damned. arts and music are the first things that come to mind. maybe it's a uniquely american phenomenon, but parents typically want their children to go for 'safe' careers where they can sit behind a desk doing the same thing every day and retire 40 years later. anything that has an a large amount of uncertainty or requires special skills that most people don't posses has too much risk involved. so kids, being as impressionable as they are, usually have any kind of ambitious dreams regarding career choices can get easily squashed if they're told things like "there's no money in that" or "you can't be serious" or "you'll change your mind when you grow up", etc

Offline michaell
Male
  • 529 posts
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014 07:05 PM »
@michaell it's pretty common for parents to discourage their children from pursuing careers that have a reputation for being impractical as financially stable prospects - truth behind it be damned. arts and music are the first things that come to mind. maybe it's a uniquely american phenomenon, but parents typically want their children to go for 'safe' careers where they can sit behind a desk doing the same thing every day and retire 40 years later. anything that has an a large amount of uncertainty or requires special skills that most people don't posses has too much risk involved. so kids, being as impressionable as they are, usually have any kind of ambitious dreams regarding career choices can get easily squashed if they're told things like "there's no money in that" or "you can't be serious" or "you'll change your mind when you grow up", etc

no no no i

i know

my parents always deprecated my affinities too

be it art, history or politics

my mom already worked physically when she was 12 or something when granddads company was still in infancy and despite coming from aristocratic background she swallowed all the spurious communist propaganda literally everyone resisted

hence her rigid dogmatism and ephasis on 'pragmatism'

basically you dont question authority, thats the basic precept i suppose except i recognised no authority

but still

they were incapable of imposing any coercive measures on me really

because, what could they do

maybe belittle me but i always felt so much disdain towards them so i didnt listen to a single word

i can imagine emotional abuse leaving permament wounds on a person though!

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,195 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014 07:12 PM »
what can they do? they're your parents. they can do a lot more than emotionally manipulate you. they control your finances, your education, your upbringing... they have plenty of power to hinder their children from pursuing their career choice, especially if it requires financial support.

Offline michaell
Male
  • 529 posts
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014 07:25 PM »
what can they do? they're your parents. they can do a lot more than emotionally manipulate you. they control your finances, your education, your upbringing... they have plenty of power to hinder their children from pursuing their career choice, especially if it requires financial support.

ah well thatd make more sense if you look at it from the american perspective i suppose

here education is 100% free though so i guess it makes things a bit easier even if youre out of step with your parents

i know people like that and most of the time their parents cant do shit about their personal choice because they cant like threaten them theyll not cover the student loan because this shit doesnt exist here and its not like theyre going to renounce them and allow them to starve to death

but then i cant speak much from experience seeing how the money and time ive always invested was in subjects that did have utility eventually allowing me to get admitted to the best business school in the country so they couldnt have had any objections against it anyway

Offline tyvb
Male
  • Never Give Up!
  • 33 posts
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014 07:59 PM »
I'm really giving the PG version of what went on in the house in my youth, mostly to not be a downer. 

Not everyone has a peaceful upbringing and encouraging families.  I'm pretty lucky to have my best-friend's family accept me into their home and call me one of their own. :)

Online zwimmy
Female
  • The original zwimmeme
  • 1,658 posts
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014 08:15 PM »
One drawing and I'm already liking your style. Can't wait to see some more!

Offline crackers
Male
  • i cant stand ya, george
  • 1,220 posts
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014 08:19 PM »
the girl kind of looks like link from links awakening, i like it

Offline rtil
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 25,195 posts
    • rtil_yep on Skype
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014 08:30 PM »
I'm really giving the PG version of what went on in the house in my youth, mostly to not be a downer. 

Not everyone has a peaceful upbringing and encouraging families.  I'm pretty lucky to have my best-friend's family accept me into their home and call me one of their own. :)

the important thing is that you're able to pursue art now and not letting anyone stop you from doing what you enjoy, which is what is most important for your happiness

Offline tyvb
Male
  • Never Give Up!
  • 33 posts
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014 08:37 PM »
the important thing is that you're able to pursue art now and not letting anyone stop you from doing what you enjoy, which is what is most important for your happiness

Exactly!  Happiness > Money

the girl kind of looks like link from links awakening, i like it

It was my favorite game growing up!  I still have it lying around in a box somewhere.
One drawing and I'm already liking your style. Can't wait to see some more!

Hopefully I can finish it either tomorrow or the next day!

Offline SrsSam77
Male
  • Greater Aniki
  • 1,384 posts
  • Awards IRC REGULAR: this user is one of the top irc chatters!
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014 10:10 PM »
Talking about art education and art careers? The problem David Bayles layed out in art & fear is that most "artists" are people the will just go to art school, make a ton of art IN school, but the moment they get out they lose all personal drive/interest because the have attained their degree then just end up flipping burgers somewhere because noone is telling them what to make. But every now and then there will be someone with a true personal drive that will get to a comfortable standard of living doing art just by teaching themselves, or perhaps actually utilizing their knowledge once they get out of art school and attaining monetary inflow from that. Glenn Vilppu for example, never went to art school, he quit his day job for a part time job when he was 20, then spent every waking hour he was not working painting and doing master studies; now he has a multimillion dollar teaching/sketchbook thing going on.

TL;DR git gud, git motivated, make dolla bills yall